Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 34

Thread: Ringworm

  1. #1
    I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Jennifer Clark's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Searcy, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,846
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    15
    Blog Entries
    8

    Smile Ringworm

    Some how my bully contacted ringworm but he doesn't go anywhere else accept our yard my question is if he got it in our yard how do I treat the yard to keep this from happening again, and is it possible he got it from a child at school because I do take him with me to pick the kids up (accept recently)?

    R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

  2. #2
    Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    JeannieCO's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Conifer, Colorado
    Posts
    13,413
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)
    620

    Default Re: Ringworm

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Clark View Post
    Some how my bully contacted ringworm but he doesn't go anywhere else accept our yard my question is if he got it in our yard how do I treat the yard to keep this from happening again, and is it possible he got it from a child at school because I do take him with me to pick the kids up (accept recently)?
    From what I understand about ringworm, which is little, it's very contagious and tranferable from humans to dogs or dogs to humans. Have you called her vet yet? I wished they'd change that name too, I hate the fact that it has "worm" in it when it's fungal.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

  3. #3
    Lucy-licious
    Guest

    Default Re: Ringworm

    Can be caught from dirt....Lucy got it as a puppy after discovering she could dig in the one flower bed we have. Had a 3 week course of anti fungal and it's never come back.
    Last edited by Lucy-licious; 05-14-2013 at 02:05 PM.

  4. #4
    I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Jennifer Clark's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Searcy, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,846
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    15
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Ringworm

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy-licious View Post
    Can be caught from dirt....Lucy got it as a puppy after discovering she could dig in the one flower bed we have. Had a 3 week course of anti fungal and it's never come back.
    Yes that is how I found out it was ringworm I ended up taking him to the vet and not only did he have ringworm but an infection on his tummy we have a four week dip that we have to use I have to dip him once a week for four weeks and this dip stinks because it contains sulfur so tonight he gets a bath only to stink again tomorrow bless his heart. He has been quarantined since we came back from the vet. I will have to clean my carpet in my room because that seems to be where he prefers to be and the kids contact with him has been limited to only saying hello to him and a pat on the head then I make them wash their hands afterwards as do I. Did you have to treat your yard or anything after your fur baby was diagnosed?

    R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

  5. #5
    I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Jennifer Clark's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Searcy, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,846
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    15
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Ringworm

    Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    From what I understand about ringworm, which is little, it's very contagious and tranferable from humans to dogs or dogs to humans. Have you called her vet yet? I wished they'd change that name too, I hate the fact that it has "worm" in it when it's fungal.
    I am with you on the name change because I thought it was a parasite until the vet told me it was a fungal...Someone told me I needed to bleach my yard but I don't want to kill all my new flowers and grass.

    R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

  6. #6
    Lucy-licious
    Guest

    Default Re: Ringworm

    No....I asked the vet but he said it was a bit overkill.
    Sorry about the dips though, Lucy just had tablets for hers.
    I'm guessing the dips are for something else. Does he have Dermadex mange too? My billy had tat he hated those baths, but was worth it. And although we know the mites are still there, just laying dormant waiting to attack should his immunity drop, he's been fine since x

  7. #7
    The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    dalmatina38's Avatar
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Location
    Sierra Vista Arizona
    Posts
    1,160
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)
    190

    Default Re: Ringworm

    Ring worm is a nasty little beast. It is highly contagious and one of the reasons I don't take Amber and Ruby around to different locations or let people pet them. You just never know what someone has been in contact with. While I was stationed in Japan I found an ointment that is bought over the counter called "Oronine" that treats almost anything to include ringworm. The asians consider this ointment almost a miracle ointment and I would have to agree it is very good. You can buy it online also and while the packaging isn't the most attractive the ointment is one of the best I have ever used. I clears up acne, the worst of dry skins, great for animal skin conditions....I have it on hand at all times for fur babies and humans. It is great stuff. I am not recommending stopping the vet treatment but would recommend considering looking into this ointment. Good luck.

  8. #8
    Rescue Volunteer Rural mystic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,603
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default Re: Ringworm

    So how big a spot is it? If its localized in one small area then clean and rub some monistat cream on it. Ace had a small one about quarter size on his ear and the monistat cleared it up rather quickly

  9. #9
    Rescue Volunteer Rural mystic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,603
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default Re: Ringworm

    Be sure and wash your hands good after treating it

  10. #10
    Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    JeannieCO's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Conifer, Colorado
    Posts
    13,413
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)
    620

    Default Re: Ringworm

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Clark View Post
    I am with you on the name change because I thought it was a parasite until the vet told me it was a fungal...Someone told me I needed to bleach my yard but I don't want to kill all my new flowers and grass.
    I never heard of bleaching the yard. Do wash all blankets, sheets anything that she's been on. The name is just terrible no doubt, it's like a stigma one's afraid to say if they have it or not. Hope the dips baths don't ruin his bath times now.
    @Lucy-licious, is it easy to contract again. I mean does it stay with you for a long time and flare up later?

    This is a good education discussion.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

  11. #11
    Lucy-licious
    Guest

    Default Re: Ringworm

    Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    I never heard of bleaching the yard. Do wash all blankets, sheets anything that she's been on. The name is just terrible no doubt, it's like a stigma one's afraid to say if they have it or not. Hope the dips baths don't ruin his bath times now.
    @Lucy-licious, is it easy to contract again. I mean does it stay with you for a long time and flare up later?

    This is a good education discussion.

    What? Ringworm? No. Once it's gone it's gone. They won't get it again unless they come in contact with it again x

  12. #12
    Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    JeannieCO's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Conifer, Colorado
    Posts
    13,413
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)
    620

    Default Re: Ringworm

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy-licious View Post
    What? Ringworm? No. Once it's gone it's gone. They won't get it again unless they come in contact with it again x
    I knew you'd know that.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •