Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Some how my bully contacted ringworm but he doesn't go anywhere else accept our yard my question is if he got it in our yard how do I treat the yard to keep this from happening again, and is it possible he got it from a child at school because I do take him with me to pick the kids up (accept recently)?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Some how my bully contacted ringworm but he doesn't go anywhere else accept our yard my question is if he got it in our yard how do I treat the yard to keep this from happening again, and is it possible he got it from a child at school because I do take him with me to pick the kids up (accept recently)?

From what I understand about ringworm, which is little, it's very contagious and tranferable from humans to dogs or dogs to humans. Have you called her vet yet? I wished they'd change that name too, I hate the fact that it has "worm" in it when it's fungal.

L

Lucy-licious

Can be caught from dirt....Lucy got it as a puppy after discovering she could dig in the one flower bed we have. Had a 3 week course of anti fungal and it's never come back.

Last edited:
OP
Jennifer Clark

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Can be caught from dirt....Lucy got it as a puppy after discovering she could dig in the one flower bed we have. Had a 3 week course of anti fungal and it's never come back.
Yes that is how I found out it was ringworm I ended up taking him to the vet and not only did he have ringworm but an infection on his tummy we have a four week dip that we have to use I have to dip him once a week for four weeks and this dip stinks because it contains sulfur so tonight he gets a bath only to stink again tomorrow bless his heart. He has been quarantined since we came back from the vet. I will have to clean my carpet in my room because that seems to be where he prefers to be and the kids contact with him has been limited to only saying hello to him and a pat on the head then I make them wash their hands afterwards as do I. Did you have to treat your yard or anything after your fur baby was diagnosed?

OP
Jennifer Clark

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
From what I understand about ringworm, which is little, it's very contagious and tranferable from humans to dogs or dogs to humans. Have you called her vet yet? I wished they'd change that name too, I hate the fact that it has "worm" in it when it's fungal.
I am with you on the name change because I thought it was a parasite until the vet told me it was a fungal...Someone told me I needed to bleach my yard but I don't want to kill all my new flowers and grass.

L

Lucy-licious

No....I asked the vet but he said it was a bit overkill.
Sorry about the dips though, Lucy just had tablets for hers.
I'm guessing the dips are for something else. Does he have Dermadex mange too? My billy had tat :eek: he hated those baths, but was worth it. And although we know the mites are still there, just laying dormant waiting to attack should his immunity drop, he's been fine since x

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Ring worm is a nasty little beast. It is highly contagious and one of the reasons I don't take Amber and Ruby around to different locations or let people pet them. You just never know what someone has been in contact with. While I was stationed in Japan I found an ointment that is bought over the counter called "Oronine" that treats almost anything to include ringworm. The asians consider this ointment almost a miracle ointment and I would have to agree it is very good. You can buy it online also and while the packaging isn't the most attractive the ointment is one of the best I have ever used. I clears up acne, the worst of dry skins, great for animal skin conditions....I have it on hand at all times for fur babies and humans. It is great stuff. I am not recommending stopping the vet treatment but would recommend considering looking into this ointment. Good luck.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
So how big a spot is it? If its localized in one small area then clean and rub some monistat cream on it. Ace had a small one about quarter size on his ear and the monistat cleared it up rather quickly

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I am with you on the name change because I thought it was a parasite until the vet told me it was a fungal...Someone told me I needed to bleach my yard but I don't want to kill all my new flowers and grass.
I never heard of bleaching the yard. Do wash all blankets, sheets anything that she's been on. The name is just terrible no doubt, it's like a stigma one's afraid to say if they have it or not. Hope the dips baths don't ruin his bath times now.
[MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION], is it easy to contract again. I mean does it stay with you for a long time and flare up later?

This is a good education discussion.

L

Lucy-licious

I never heard of bleaching the yard. Do wash all blankets, sheets anything that she's been on. The name is just terrible no doubt, it's like a stigma one's afraid to say if they have it or not. Hope the dips baths don't ruin his bath times now.
@Lucy-licious, is it easy to contract again. I mean does it stay with you for a long time and flare up later?

This is a good education discussion.

What? Ringworm? No. Once it's gone it's gone. They won't get it again unless they come in contact with it again x

OP
Jennifer Clark

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
No....I asked the vet but he said it was a bit overkill.
Sorry about the dips though, Lucy just had tablets for hers.
I'm guessing the dips are for something else. Does he have Dermadex mange too? My billy had tat :eek: he hated those baths, but was worth it. And although we know the mites are still there, just laying dormant waiting to attack should his immunity drop, he's been fine since x
Yes he had Demadex last year that is why we couldn't give him a steroid...the ringworm isn't localized its all over him mainly on his back and two really bad places on his neck but the vet told me to get a small weed sprayer to mix the dip in to spray on Sheldon making sure he is good and drenched in it so it shouldn't ruin bath time for him he loves baths as well as having his teeth brushed. Its so funny my dog loves his personal hygiene. If I had realized it could be so easy I wouldn't have taken him with me. I really don't think he got it from our yard. We wash our hands every time any of us have to do anything with him. After tomorrow though he won't be contagious.

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Yes he had Demadex last year that is why we couldn't give him a steroid...the ringworm isn't localized its all over him mainly on his back and two really bad places on his neck but the vet told me to get a small weed sprayer to mix the dip in to spray on Sheldon making sure he is good and drenched in it so it shouldn't ruin bath time for him he loves baths as well as having his teeth brushed. Its so funny my dog loves his personal hygiene. If I had realized it could be so easy I wouldn't have taken him with me. I really don't think he got it from our yard. We wash our hands every time any of us have to do anything with him. After tomorrow though he won't be contagious.

Just wondering if you could post a picture of the ring worm? I took Bo in last week for a couple spots on his head (in between his ears) where he suddenly was missing hair. The vet did a 'scrape' said it wasn't demodex and then took a few hair samples to do a culture, but said that he didn't think it was ring worm either.... but wasn't really sure what it was... I am supposed to call tomorrow to see if anything grew on the culture, in the meantime, he said to wipe the spots with HexaChlorK wipes.
Does anyone know any other uses for these wipes? Like maybe, can I use them on his nose wrinkle? Any insight welcome!!

L

Lucy-licious

Wish my vet had been as wise as yours....my poor Billy wont even go upstairs cos thats where the nasty bath hides waiting to eat him :scared:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.