Help Needed! Recommendation re:pain meds

Tebow

May 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Hi all:
I'm new here and need your expertise about my babies ear infection. He started acting less active the middle of last week, but I thought since it was getting hot out that was the reason. Then Thursday he started shaking his head occasionally so I checked his ears. His right ear was really dirty so I used the wash the vet had given me for his ears. I was gone all day Friday with my dad and when we came home he was shaking his head a lot more. So I knew it was more than just dirty. His vet is only open half a day on Saturdays and we live an hour and half away so I plan to get him there tomorrow, but late last night he started whining some and more frequently today. So my questions is can/should I give him pain meds till we go to the vet tomorrow? I've got Rimadyl 100mg and Tramadol 50mgs. I hate seeing my baby in pain, but I don't want to possibly make it worse with these meds.

Sorry to be so long winded, THANKS!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi! Well, I know both of those are used by vets for pain..I don't know the dosage though and honestly, would be reluctant to give either if he is a pup. Is the ear warm to the touch..visible redness? Sometimes a warm compress will help. Take a wet washcloth and heat in microwave for 30 seconds. You want it warm..not hot. Gently apply to outside of ear and hold it along canal. If he cries, I would leave him be and let your vet help you. He could have something in it too. It's very common for foxtails to become embedded and they can be very painful. I hope Tebow feels better very soon. :(
@Sherry.. @2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
so sorry your baby is feeling bad... sounds like an ear infection. you can give him tramadol, I would only give him half dose ...25 mg for tonight. Along with a hug

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm not familiar with pain meds for dogs, and wouldn't know what does would be safe for them. The only meds I've given my guys are Benadryl. You could try the over the counter Polysporin ear drops, they are safe for humans so should be okay to use in a dogs ear. It might give him some temporary relief until you can get him to the vet. I hope Tebow feels better soon.

OP
T

Tebow

May 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Thanks, I'll try the compress. I can not stand to see my baby in pain and his crying tears me up!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I'll try the compress. I can not stand to see my baby in pain and his crying tears me up!

OP
T

Tebow

May 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Thanks so much.

OP
T

Tebow

May 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Thanks, I am so thankful I have found this site. Don't you worry he gets more than enough cuddles and kisses:D

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks, I am so thankful I have found this site. Don't you worry he gets more than enough cuddles and kisses:D

Im sure he does! And we are all here to help in any way we can..

Im very familiar with pain meds for dogs..as is Christine..2bullymama...We have used both the Tramadol and Rimadyl extensively. I prefer Tramadol..no side effects and very effective. We had a Rottie with lots of pain issues and it was a savior or her. I'm not sure if you have the tablets ..they would be hard to cut in half..that was my concern. I hope he rests well tonight..please let us know how he does at the vets..

OP
T

Tebow

May 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Thank you so much, you guys are life savers!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

There are NEVER enough cuddles and kisses.... throw in a few extra since he is not feelig well.

Please keep us posted

OP
T

Tebow

May 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Just wanted to give an update on my precious Tebow. I decided against the pain meds and wait till we could see his vet. He got antibiotics and ear drops and is doing great! He still has a rash/bumps around his groin area, but they don't seem to bother him. Thanks everyone for your help!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.