back leg seems odd

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
I noticed over the weekend that Pickle's rear left leg seems to be off. When she is walking the right foot is normal she is pushing from heel to toe but her left seems to be like a swish or pushing from the side. I have been walking her quite a bit this week and she was rough housing with her buddies yesterday so I think she may have pulled something.

She is teething so she has been whinning for the past couple of weeks so I know she has pain but not sure if it's from the leg or the teeth. The other thing I noticed was she has been licking at that leg. She has no issue with sleeping or eating and I checked her paws for any foriegn objects.

I am planning to watch her for the next few days to see if it gets better if not she has an vet appointment on the 30th. Should I go sooner if she is still walking odd by Tuesday??

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
How old is Pickle?

Of course I'm probably not the best one to be answering this right now considering Amy's condition. I'm constantly watching her walk to check for any sign that she is in pain, and so far she sure doesn't act like she is.

However, I'm going to say take her in now and get it checked out. Especially if she is acting like it is giving her discomfort. (The licking could be a sign of discomfort) The peace of mind knowing it is just a strain rather than some form of dislocation would be worth it to me.

OP
xsubsailor

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
Pickle is 5 months and she goes in to get spayed on the 30th.

I think you're right, as I sit here and think about her, I would feel much better getting her checked sooner than later. I will call the Dr in the morning. It would tear me up if I didn't and something worse happens to her leg.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Good plan, I would get it checked out for sure. Let us know :hug:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
xsubsailor

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
Of course the next appointment is 2 weeks away but they said I could come in on Friday and they may be able to squeeze us in. I will be there on Friday bright and early and will post what the Dr says.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Of course the next appointment is 2 weeks away but they said I could come in on Friday and they may be able to squeeze us in. I will be there on Friday bright and early and will post what the Dr says.

They sound very busy, too bad they can't squeeze you in sooner. :(

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
xsubsailor

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
I know, one of the issues with a good vet they're always busy. They said I could drop her off when they open and they would try to get her in. Depending on how Pickle is by Wednesday, I may take off work and go then. I'm trying to keep her idle but she always wants to play. We suspended walks until we see the doc tho.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I agree with everyone else - when it doubt, get it checked out - especially if there is some degree of lameness and she's licking it.

Hopefully it's nothing! Let us know!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would watch it for a day or so, if it gets worse take her in, but hopefully it will get better.

OP
xsubsailor

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
Took Pickle to see the Vet today and he said that she has a luxating patella. It wouldn’t slip out of place but it's loose. Vet said she could stay like she is now for the rest of her life, but there is a chance she will get worse and need surgery to fix the issue. He also said his 2 yrs old EB has the same problem but he is doing fine without the surgery. Otherwise he said Pickle is very healthy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Took Pickle to see the Vet today and he said that she has a luxating patella. It wouldn’t slip out of place but it's loose. Vet said she could stay like she is now for the rest of her life, but there is a chance she will get worse and need surgery to fix the issue. He also said his 2 yrs old EB has the same problem but he is doing fine without the surgery. Otherwise he said Pickle is very healthy.

UGH.... keeps his weight on point and he should be good. My boy had that most of his life too.

OP
xsubsailor

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
UGH.... keeps his weight on point and he should be good. My boy had that most of his life too.

Will do. I forgot to ask the vet but did you still take him on long walks? I was taking Pickle out for about a mile and she loves the walk but I don't want to over work her leg.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Will do. I forgot to ask the vet but did you still take him on long walks? I was taking Pickle out for about a mile and she loves the walk but I don't want to over work her leg.

yea, but we did about 3/4 mile with him every other day, shorter walks daily. He was not much for long walks, but it was due to his allergies not the knee cap.

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus

Colossus has this too. I just watch him walk/run to make sure hes not in pain. That was what impressed me about Dr Armstrong he went right to the trouble spots and checked them first (a couple of times). I got two or three "may or may not cause problems" with Colossus, but then got a dont worry about it and keep your eye on it. Im sure Pickle will be just fine.

Now I just have to find the sweet spot for his weight. Growing so fast its crazy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.