Otis Tired Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
We had a little scare with Otis. Yesterday will be the second year that we took Otis to a parade in our community. Everyone just seems to love him and he loves all the attention :yes:. When we left to attend the parade it was overcast and looked as if it could rain. Well it turned out being a bright sunny very warm parade. Throughout the parade we gave Otis water because he was panting, but I didn't really think much about it. By the time it was over and he had walk the mile to the car I knew we had one over heated guy. He looked pitiful. I brought him home and gave him a cool bath and when it was over he just laid on the cool tiled bathroom floor panting. I felt terrible. Finally after about 45 minutes of laying on the A/C vent he started acting like himself. It was warm yesterday but only in the 80's. Last summer here in Tennessee we were in the upper 90's and over 100 for most of June and July. So it is going to get much hotter. I am really terrified that Otis is going to have a rough summer. I would hate for him not to be able to spend any time outside. Has anyone else experienced this? He is not overweight and we do walk him, however probably not as much as we should. I am also very concerned about him staying at Happy Hounds while we are on vacation. What if they left him get overheated. They are wonderful and I love and trust them, but this as given me a scare.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I live in North Florida and have several Bullys. He will have to spend his time indoors with SHORT walks outside if you want a live dog. Bullys can not take the heat, which pretty much means temps over about 75 degrees. It is sad and hard but because of their smushed breathing apparatus, even light exercise outside will kill them. You need to talk to Happy Hounds about how they deal with bullys and what experience they have. If you have a yard and he likes the water, he'd probably like a little kiddie pool and that might allow him a little more outside time. Of course, my dogs won't go near the darn things.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Even if the weather is in the 70's, especially if it's sunny out, bulldogs can overheat. I've had some scares w/my boys as well and have learned to limit their daytime activities and even their rough playtimes when it's warm b/c they can overheat easily by simply running around crazily like they like to do. I agree w/@linwhite, definitely talk to the boarding facility about your concerns. Don't assume they know that bulldogs are not like other breeds re. activity level, temperature and overheating

wvlady1965

Mar 28, 2013
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
JDAM (deceased) and Legend and Harley
Posts like this angers me. If you have read anything and done your homework on the breed, it tells you not to let your bully get overheated and most of all bully's can only take short walks not A MILE LONG WALK. You should have him checked out by your vet. He should be ok this summer if you keep his time out in the sun short and take small walks with him. Please Please do your homework and read up on bullies.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Questions asked by caring bully owners should never evoke a response of anger. That is what we are all here for, to LEARN the management of our bullies! Each bully is different, and we sometimes learn by trial and error. I live in central Florida, and in the cooler weather ( low 70's or below) my bully DOES walk a mile. He is a very active bully and we have learned his limitations. In the hear of the summer, we will limit his walks to early am or late pm. We also bring along a wagon in case he tires. I always carry a bottle of lemon juice and a syringe in the event he gets overheated and starts producing phlegm. [MENTION=6037]Deanna1489[/MENTION], you sound like you handled the situation like a pro! And always ask away here if you are not sure. As for boarding, I would give them written instructions for the summer heat and what you expect. I am sure he will be just fine. Yes, outside time will be limited in the summer, but short jaunts, kiddie pools and ice pops will make him happy!!

- - - Updated - - -

Questions asked by caring bully owners should never evoke a response of anger. That is what we are all here for, to LEARN the management of our bullies! Each bully is different, and we sometimes learn by trial and error. I live in central Florida, and in the cooler weather ( low 70's or below) my bully DOES walk a mile. He is a very active bully and we have learned his limitations. In the hear of the summer, we will limit his walks to early am or late pm. We also bring along a wagon in case he tires. I always carry a bottle of lemon juice and a syringe in the event he gets overheated and starts producing phlegm. [MENTION=6037]Deanna1489[/MENTION], you sound like you handled the situation like a pro! And always ask away here if you are not sure. As for boarding, I would give them written instructions for the summer heat and what you expect. I am sure he will be just fine. Yes, outside time will be limited in the summer, but short jaunts, kiddie pools and ice pops will make him happy!!

OP
Deanna1489

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
wvlady1965,

I am FURIOUS that you would insinuate that I am an irresponsible bully owner. I would NEVER do anything to harm this loved member of our family. As a matter of fact I am very educated on the breed. I understand the dangers of heat and bullies. Why do you think I bought him water and gave him a cool bath. Otis has walked this route numerous times with no problems. As a matter of fact he walked it two times last week. He has been walking at least a mile every time we walk since he was 9 months old. I had no reason to believe that yesterday would be any different. This was a first time episode and it scared me to death. If you were trying to shame me it worked. This will be my last post.

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
wvlady1965,

I am FURIOUS that you would insinuate that I am an irresponsible bully owner. I would NEVER do anything to harm this loved member of our family. As a matter of fact I am very educated on the breed. I understand the dangers of heat and bullies. Why do you think I bought him water and gave him a cool bath. Otis has walked this route numerous times with no problems. As a matter of fact he walked it two times last week. He has been walking at least a mile every time we walk since he was 9 months old. I had no reason to believe that yesterday would be any different. This was a first time episode and it scared me to death. If you were trying to shame me it worked. This will be my last post.
Don't let it be your last post. Bulldogs are like kids, and no matter how much research you have done every day is unpredictable.. We learn more as we go.. Nobody is perfect here.

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I am going to close this thread. wvlady1965 has received an infraction for her post it was not appropriate at all and does not comply with the terms of service of this website.

This is the explanation I put on the infraction:

Please respond with less antagonistic language if you respond to posts here. We don't allow such drama on EBN. We learn from each others experiences. We are Human and make mistakes. She was trying to tell us about a mistake she made to warn other members about how easily something unexpected could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.