Help Needed! polyp

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
So as some of you may know, Bertha got a UTI in early January, which took 2 rounds of antibiotics to cure. She was doing well and then the sx came back , mostly dragging her hiney and spontaneous urine accidents (usually on my bed, lol). So I took a sample in, which tested for blood. The doc decided to cath her for a sterile sample (as sterile as urine can be) to get a culture and sensitivity, and he did an ultrasound. He found a large polyp (chances are) and the culture came back negative for infection. So he would like to surgically remove the polyp because he believes this will result in an endless cycle of UTI, etc. However, this means surgery not a scope, believe me I asked. He said she has a larger flap one side of her vulva that may cause future infections well but she gets wiped daily and again the c&S was negative for infection. Any advice or stories to share? I am thinking this through very carefull since it involves surgery but I think i have no choice really. The poor baby is miserable I am sure especially when she has accidents, which she know is wrong. [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] (it wouldnt let me tag you)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow I have never heard about this, please keep me informed!!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Boy...I can sure see where your vet is correct about the constant UTI's if not corrected..but I agree, sounds big. Has she been spayed? Would that help, if she hasn't been....poor Bertha....:(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks as a pup had constant UTI's with the same results as Berta.... everything always came back negative. did ultrasounds and everything clean, her issue was way too much skin around the vuvla. at age two we ended up getting her surgery done which was called a vulvoplasty. Once she had it done, never another UTI was had and she is now 7.5 yrs old

Good luck with your decision.... keeping you both in my prayers

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I'm so sorry!! I haven't been able to get near my computer for the past couple days so I'm just now seeing this.

I've never heard of this surgery either but it sorta sounds like a circumcision?

OP
agingermom

agingermom

Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so sorry!! I haven't been able to get near my computer for the past couple days so I'm just now seeing this.

I've never heard of this surgery either but it sorta sounds like a circumcision?

He wants to clip part of her vulva but I am saying no to that. My real question is about polyps in the bladder caused by UTIs. Is this familiar to you?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
He wants to clip part of her vulva but I am saying no to that. My real question is about polyps in the bladder caused by UTIs. Is this familiar to you?

UTI's won't cause the polyps, the polyps will cause the UTI's. If left untreated (or undetected) a urinary tract infection can cause irreparable damage to the bladder and/or kidneys.

OP
agingermom

agingermom

Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
UTI's won't cause the polyps, the polyps will cause the UTI's. If left untreated (or undetected) a urinary tract infection can cause irreparable damage to the bladder and/or kidneys.
It is so scary thinking of anesthesia that I was in denial for a day or so. Also I would never get any procedure done until talking with all of you since I trust you guys. Thanks Bev. We are already planning surgery day making sure we will be able to home with her nonstop. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] any experience with these?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
It is so scary thinking of anesthesia that I was in denial for a day or so. Also I would never get any procedure done until talking with all of you since I trust you guys. Thanks Bev. We are already planning surgery day making sure we will be able to home with her nonstop. @Davidh and @cowsmom any experience with these?

I know it is :( But sometimes we have to take that chance. Before the ultrasound showed Abby's kidneys were deformed they were thinking that her kidney failure was due to an untreated UTI. It's hard to believe that something so common can cause so much damage. Bertha will be fine, I'm sure of it. Give her a big hug from me please :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=3123]agingermom[/MENTION] no dear i have no experience with these but from reading up on it seems that recurrent uti and if caused by the polyps then removal of them seems to be a way to go for your pets health as uti can be bad news if left untreated not to mention your bullies discomfort. lots of talking with the vet can help put your mind at ease. i to think the polyps are causing the uti.

Recurring infections are a sign that your dog might have a complicated UTI, one that has an underlying reason for recurring. These are more difficult to identify and treat because the underlying cause of them must be dealt with. Causes of recurrent UTIs in dogs include bladder tumors, polyps, uroliths (colloquially known as stones), cancer, kidney failure, neurological disorders and elevated pH levels in urine that promote bacteria growth and diabetes. On top of all that, recurring UTIs also might be caused by bacterial resistance to antimicrobial drugs.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry, I have no experience with this, but from what others have said, it sounds like the surgery is the way to go. I do know UTI's are nothing to play with. Please keep us posted on her.

OP
agingermom

agingermom

Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sorry, I have no experience with this, but from what others have said, it sounds like the surgery is the way to go. I do know UTI's are nothing to play with. Please keep us posted on her.

I have her scheduled for JUne 7 for the polyp removal. The vet I trust is not available until then. [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION], [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.