General Question spaying / neutering Bulldogs

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Hello! I am planning on getting miss Mia "fixed" but am wondering if there is a certain age that is best? She is only 10 weeks now. I've heard of puppies getting fixed as early as 8 weeks but I've also heard it could effect their growth and development.
I am concerned as well of her going under on the anesthetic. What are your experiences/ knowledge on this. Appreciate any feedback :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Bulldogs generally go into heat around the age of 8 months. you can have her spayed at 6 months, you shouldn't do it before then

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Lots of schools of thought on this. My vet likes them fixed young- as early as 4 months, but he recommended 6 months. His theory is that when fixed young, before " puberty" they are finding there are less problems as they age, especially with joint issues. Neutering young does inhibit their growth a bit, but it also means less stress on the body later on. There are many here who believe in waiting until full sexual maturity to neuter, but you will run the risk of developing aggressive tendencies too. That said, if you have a vet that you really trust, go with his/her recommendations, especially if they specialize in bulldog care. Mine ended up being done at 5 months because he needed a hernia repair at the same time and we had no problems.

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
Bulldogs generally go into heat around the age of 8 months. you can have her spayed at 6 months, you shouldn't do it before then

I am having Pickle spayed at 6 months by recommendation from my vet but the woman at Spayed Today said they encourage anytime after 3 months. That seems a little young to me so I set the appointment the week of her 6 month birthday.

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Thanks guys. I was thinking somewhere between 5 - 7 months. But i was speaking to someone today who rescued a dog from humane society and it was done at about 8 weeks. That just seemed wrong to me. Anyway I will talk to my vet next week but 6 months sounds good to me :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks guys. I was thinking somewhere between 5 - 7 months. But i was speaking to someone today who rescued a dog from humane society and it was done at about 8 weeks. That just seemed wrong to me. Anyway I will talk to my vet next week but 6 months sounds good to me :)

Bulldogs under anesthesia at a young age is not a good idea unless they have something life threatening. Other breeds that are not flat faced do much better, perhaps that is why. Any rescue must fix any dog that is adopted out- I believe at any age, even seniors.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Bulldogs under anesthesia at a young age is not a good idea unless they have something life threatening. Other breeds that are not flat faced do much better, perhaps that is why. Any rescue or shelter must fix any dog that is adopted out- I believe at any age, even seniors.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Re: Neutering My Puppy..
Hi, I had my male Bulldozer neutered at 7 months old, I've read it's recommended between 6 and 7 months of age. I also have his sister, they are litter mates, so I had to fix both of them before Blossom went into her 1st heat, as they are in the same house, and I would have had to separate them from each other. It's more important to have a female spayed at an early age, if you are not going to breed her, as the chances of cancer is higher for every heat they go into, especially breast cancer. I fixed her first, and then neutered Dozer a week later. I think it's okay to wait longer for a male, but again if you are not going to use him for Stud, then fixing him is better for his health. Neutering a male lessens the chance of cancers, can calm down the dog, and lessens the dangers of your male running off and getting lost or hit by a car due to chasing female dogs in heat. Some people like to wait until their male is closer to a year old, because they beleive the dogs' head and body will grow bigger before neutering. I don't know if this true or not, or if its just a myth, but maybe someone else on here can give you more I formation on this. I found Dozer changed for the better after he was neutered, he calmed down a lot, wasnt as hyper, he didn't hump us anymore, or his sister, and he became a lot easier to train, as he was more focused, and he also became this snuggley bear.

Cocosmammy123

Apr 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Coco is getting spayed tomorrow purely because she comes into season every 4 months and always ends up ill when she's in season. Av herd it settles them down ??

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Im waiting for humping/aggression to set in or December (1yr). As quickly as Colossus is learning I hope to combat the aggression with redirections, but if not, the snip be a coming.

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Coco is getting spayed tomorrow purely because she comes into season every 4 months and always ends up ill when she's in season. Av heard it settles them down ??

I am wondering the same for females. I know she is only a pup but My God she gets these hyper fits and shows some aggression. Although it's mostly playful, you never know where those shark teeth are going to end up. The only way to calm her down is put her in time out!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.