Help Needed! Central Vestibular Disease

ssesler

Sep 8, 2010
SW Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Oliver, and Truman
Anyone have any experience with a bulldog that has central vestibular disease? Aside from the head tilt and other balance issues, any other issues that are common? Any meds that help? I've done some research but was curious if anyone experienced this first hand with a bully.

Thanks in advance!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have no experience with this, hope someone can help you. I'll tag some members to see if they have heard of it. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] [MENTION=2152]kim n the guys[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry -- I have no experience with it, but reading about it seems it is very similar to vertigo

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
my husband had it years ago. came from an inner ear infection contributed by psoriasis . I also have heard that herpes can cause this too.
I haven't had any bully's have it. I would imagine it could be the same.
My husband was treated with high dose of antibiotics and steroids. Should be treated quickly don't wait

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
sorry, I have never heard of this!! Hope you get the answers and treatment started asap

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry, I'm of no help, but sounds like [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] gave you some info on it.

OP
ssesler

ssesler

Sep 8, 2010
SW Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Oliver, and Truman
The bulldog is not mine, but I was in on his rescue and his care from the start. (I'm considering adopting him now.) He was brought into rescue at 8 months old and was very ill with HW and sarcoptic mange. Within a few days of being at the vets office, he started showing signs of vestibular disease (head tilt, circling, unstable, falls over...). He was treated immediately, but his symptoms continue over a year later. He's had an MRI which did not reveal any tumors or lesions. The vet diagnosed him with bilateral vestibular disease. Being that he's still around 2, he still has puppy energy and limited outlet to burn it (which has led to some outbursts). I do know the rescue has tried ACE to help him, but it's been unsuccessful. He still seems frustrated. I'm wondering if a more quiet and less chaotic environment would help him. (Just a theory.) I have two male bulldogs (and just lost one to CHF a couple months ago). One of my males has hydrocephalus, spina bifia, malformation of the occipital bone, amongst a host of other issues. I want to make this work as I believe this little guy had such a rough start and he deserves a chance, but I want to be prepared not put my two existing boys at risk. Any advice is welcome!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
This is the first time I've heard of it. I'm glad he at least has a diagnosis. Vegas has epilepsy....and there for a while suffered bromism from an overdose on his med. He had been on the same dose for over 18 months....then all of a sudden he was falling down all the time, walking into the walls, falling down the stairs, off the couch, he couldn't chew his food. He was in a very drunken state...which the only way to rid his body of it was to let it purge out of his system. 6 weeks! The longest 6 weeks ever. Then.....he started clustering. 10 grand mal seizures in 24 hours. Next month 12 in 24 hours. His poor body was hurting. As if that wasn't enough for him.....he then started doing a facial lick. Sometimes in excess of 20 times a day. The neurologist thinks that this may be a different neurological disorder than epilepsy.

I hope things work out for both you and your (hopefully soon) new addition.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.