californiarufio

Apr 3, 2013
Southern California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufio
Hi Everyone,

This is actually my very first post but I'm excited to get some information from you guys. I have a 3.5 month old English Bulldog named Rufio. About a week ago he started getting these really red bumps around his face right on his mouth. The bumps right next to his face are open and raw because he's constantly doing things to irritate them. We recently went to the vet to get a booster vaccination and the vet set he had a fungal infection. The vet didn't want to give him antibiotics because he said things like this come and go. He gave me a bottle of Ketoseb Spray to use 3 times a day on the infected area. It does seem to be helping but my dog keeps messing with the bumps and the progress really regresses. I'm not sure what caused the bumps in the first place but the vet said allergies could be part of it and another cause for further inflammation. It's also extremely red and wet under his rope.

Here's what I've been doing to help the situation and I'm posting to make sure I'm going about this the right way. Every morning when he eats I immediately wipe off his face with a wet towel and then dry it. I apply the Ketosep spary using a cotton ball. About 10 minutes later after it dries I've been putting baby powder on the area to keep it dry. I've had to take away a lot of his toys because they are too hard and irritate the area when he chews on them. I'm not sure what he could be allergic too but I've been trying to limit his food to Nature's Variety Raw-Lamb, carrots, and a little bit of Greek yogurt.

It looks like it is very slowly starting to clear up (I've been treating it since Monday). Should I be dong anything else. I would appreciate any advice.
Rufio 2.jpgRufio 1.jpg

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:smileywelcome: to EBN .... Chris... we definitely need pix!!! lol
OK, on to the subject. At this point, don't get too worried, 'teen zits' are pretty common. My first suggestions is to make sure he is eating from stainless steel bowls.Other materials can actually give them the zits. What food is he eating? Food is a common source of allergies and some foods are just a no no for them. Try your best to keep it as dry as you can but don't overdo rubbing on it. Blotting is better. Im not sure about this but I dont know i Id put the powder on it... you want it to breathe. For medication we have used Tricide neo or any triple antibiotic cream.
Thanx for joining and I hope you will continue to participate in the forums. :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ooooo those look like they hurt! I use Duoxo wipes..but NOT on raw skin like that. It could be allergies..to his food or even environmental ones. I will tag a few people who hopefully can help.
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Welcome
Duke would get those on his face when he was a pupyy whenever he played with anything plastic..and agree to use stainless steel bowls..

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
yap could be teen acne or from plastic bowls. I'd just keep it clean and dry and put the stuff your vet gave you. We have put Neosporin on it before and that helped.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I've nothing to add other than a big welcome and boy, Rufio is adora-:bully:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hi Everyone,

This is actually my very first post but I'm excited to get some information from you guys. I have a 3.5 month old English Bulldog named Rufio. About a week ago he started getting these really red bumps around his face right on his mouth. The bumps right next to his face are open and raw because he's constantly doing things to irritate them. We recently went to the vet to get a booster vaccination and the vet set he had a fungal infection. The vet didn't want to give him antibiotics because he said things like this come and go. He gave me a bottle of Ketoseb Spray to use 3 times a day on the infected area. It does seem to be helping but my dog keeps messing with the bumps and the progress really regresses. I'm not sure what caused the bumps in the first place but the vet said allergies could be part of it and another cause for further inflammation. It's also extremely red and wet under his rope.

Here's what I've been doing to help the situation and I'm posting to make sure I'm going about this the right way. Every morning when he eats I immediately wipe off his face with a wet towel and then dry it. I apply the Ketosep spary using a cotton ball. About 10 minutes later after it dries I've been putting baby powder on the area to keep it dry. I've had to take away a lot of his toys because they are too hard and irritate the area when he chews on them. I'm not sure what he could be allergic too but I've been trying to limit his food to Nature's Variety Raw-Lamb, carrots, and a little bit of Greek yogurt.

It looks like it is very slowly starting to clear up (I've been treating it since Monday). Should I be dong anything else. I would appreciate any advice.
View attachment 42413View attachment 42414

:smileywelcome: I agree with the plastic being the culprit. So glad you're here with your new little Rufio, I believe you're feeding a very good food, everything sounds right unless the bowls are plastic or he's laying on the plastic in the crate, that would not be good either. Please keep us posted

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Ooooo those look like they hurt! I use Duoxo wipes..but NOT on raw skin like that. It could be allergies..to his food or even environmental ones. I will tag a few people who hopefully can help.
@Sherry. @desertskybulldogs. @cowsmom.. @Davidh

You think it would sting? I sometimes use Duoxo if my cat gets Remi on the face for infection purposes.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I think it will on broken skin..I'm not sure ..cuz Jake won't answer me! But there is alcohol in it..so I'm assuming!

I agree. I use it for minor cuts and stuff. I mean, i sometimes pore alcohol on my cuts and it hurts for like 2 seconds and then it's fine. I wouldn't put my dog under anything I personally wouldn't under go!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree. I use it for minor cuts and stuff. I mean, i sometimes pore alcohol on my cuts and it hurts for like 2 seconds and then it's fine. I wouldn't put my dog under anything I personally wouldn't under go!

You want to know what a baby Jake is?? If he sees me going to the cabinet where I keep the wipes..he starts running laps. Full on running! :ROFL: I switched from Maloket to Duoxo because they don't smell near as strong...but he doesn't seem too impressed! :crazy:

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
You want to know what a baby Jake is?? If he sees me going to the cabinet where I keep the wipes..he starts running laps. Full on running! :ROFL: I switched from Maloket to Duoxo because they don't smell near as strong...but he doesn't seem too impressed! :crazy:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We call this the bully 5000 at our house. He does this when he's basically throwing a tempertantrum. He does laps around the living room furniture.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Good advice so far. I agree with the stainless steel bowl. If it doesn't clear up with the other and he keeps opening them, you could try an antibiotic ointment.

One thing to mention, when Aubie had demodex, the first thing that popped up was bumps on her chin. She got the bumps first, then a couple small spots of hair loss which eventually turned into a huge outbreak on her neck. When we got on the right medicine for the demodex, her bumps went away. We had always thought it was allergies, puppy acne, or from rubbing her face on the floor and ground, but it turns out it was part of the demodex. Who knew?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Nitschke did the same thing.... hated his face being wipes with anything.... laps were done even with ear cleanings too

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.