Chin acne and stinky, yeasty paws

petee2

Mar 26, 2012
Scott Township, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petee
Hi all, Petee had broken out with pus-filled pimples and blackheads on his chin really bad 2 1/2 weeks ago. They broke open and started bleeding. His chin is dark brown and he has lost fur. I have been diligently keeping his chin clean after be eats and at night before bed and have been using Mal A Ket wipes. It has helped him because it is not as bad as it was. I also clean his SS bowls twice a day too. He also has terribly stinky paws because he licks them on a daily basis. They are pretty calloused too. Tear and face stains can get quite bad if I don't keep up on cleaning him- I do the best I can with two very rambunctious young boys! Petee has been eating Fromm Beef Frittata Veg grain free since Aug./Sept. 2012. so about 8 mths. he has been eating this food. Do you think it's the food giving him the problem? The chin acne just started the past 2 1/2 weeks but the paws and tear stains have been an issue for months- even through the winter. With all the dog food recalls I'm not sure what food to try. I also read to stay away from potatoes or any other startches because it causes yeast?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 167

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
My doggies looked similar to this until I started them on Nature's Variety Instinct formulas - they are grain, gluten, and potato-free - and it make a huge difference. I have one white-faced bulldogs that doesn't have any tear stains at all and struggled with skin allergies, who does really well on it - so it might be worth looking into for your bully!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi all, Petee had broken out with pus-filled pimples and blackheads on his chin really bad 2 1/2 weeks ago. They broke open and started bleeding. His chin is dark brown and he has lost fur. I have been diligently keeping his chin clean after be eats and at night before bed and have been using Mal A Ket wipes. It has helped him because it is not as bad as it was. I also clean his SS bowls twice a day too. He also has terribly stinky paws because he licks them on a daily basis. They are pretty calloused too. Tear and face stains can get quite bad if I don't keep up on cleaning him- I do the best I can with two very rambunctious young boys! Petee has been eating Fromm Beef Frittata Veg grain free since Aug./Sept. 2012. so about 8 mths. he has been eating this food. Do you think it's the food giving him the problem? The chin acne just started the past 2 1/2 weeks but the paws and tear stains have been an issue for months- even through the winter. With all the dog food recalls I'm not sure what food to try. I also read to stay away from potatoes or any other startches because it causes yeast?

Poor poor baby!! Buster had a massive breakout under his chin and it turned out to be an infection which is just what this may be. Best thing to do is to take Petee to the vet. We were given antibiotics and a jar of Duoxo wipes that worked wonders on his acne. Duoxo pads on the tear stains are pretty incredible, they went away in 2 days. Please keep us updated on him.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It appears to be typical yeast problem, and it's not uncommon for young bully's to have acne. It say a better percentage get the acne than don't. Doesn't make it any better though does it? It may be time for a change in protein . Fromm makes other flavors, I'm feeding Fromm Pork and Peas, it's the latest flavor.

OP
petee2

petee2

Mar 26, 2012
Scott Township, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petee
It appears to be typical yeast problem, and it's not uncommon for young bully's to have acne. It say a better percentage get the acne than don't. Doesn't make it any better though does it? It may be time for a change in protein . Fromm makes other flavors, I'm feeding Fromm Pork and Peas, it's the latest flavor.

I'm thinking change in protein also. Been searching for another food other then Fromm (getting VERY expensive). Might go back to Natures Variety-its pricey too. There is a New Zealand Venison and Barley recipe in the Prairie formula. it's not grain free though-contains oatmeal and barley but no potatoes . I don't know if I'm looking for trouble with the oatmeal and barley. I think I read something about oatmeal and yeast. Geez, I've read so much I'm confusing myself! I also was looking at Simply Nourish healthy weight adult turkey and brown rice-has oatmeal, brown rice, rye, and sweet potatoes. Protein is 22%, fat is 10%. Petee is almost 1 1/2 years old and weighs about 60 lbs. he put some extra weight on over the winter and can't feel his ribs to well! He doesn't exercise much-short bursts of energy throughout day is enough for him! Lol

OP
petee2

petee2

Mar 26, 2012
Scott Township, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petee
Poor poor baby!! Buster had a massive breakout under his chin and it turned out to be an infection which is just what this may be. Best thing to do is to take Petee to the vet. We were given antibiotics and a jar of Duoxo wipes that worked wonders on his acne. Duoxo pads on the tear stains are pretty incredible, they went away in 2 days. Please keep us updated on him.

I was going to make an appointment but since I've been using the Mal A Ket wipes 2-3 times a day it is looking a lot better. Still licking those paws though and belly along with under arm pits get very pink. He is white with fawn brindle patches so its easy to see the bright pink on him. He's not itching at himself though. Allergies are high here (even I've been having to take OTC allergy meds) so I started giving him Benadryl and that has calmed down the pink. I will have to look into the Duoxo wipes if it helps tear stains! Thanks for your help!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I'm thinking change in protein also. Been searching for another food other then Fromm (getting VERY expensive). Might go back to Natures Variety-its pricey too. There is a New Zealand Venison and Barley recipe in the Prairie formula. it's not grain free though-contains oatmeal and barley but no potatoes . I don't know if I'm looking for trouble with the oatmeal and barley. I think I read something about oatmeal and yeast. Geez, I've read so much I'm confusing myself! I also was looking at Simply Nourish healthy weight adult turkey and brown rice-has oatmeal, brown rice, rye, and sweet potatoes. Protein is 22%, fat is 10%. Petee is almost 1 1/2 years old and weighs about 60 lbs. he put some extra weight on over the winter and can't feel his ribs to well! He doesn't exercise much-short bursts of energy throughout day is enough for him! Lol

Nutrisca has a kibble grain and potato free. Lamb and chickpea / and fish and chickpea less expensive than Fromm , my dog's did well on this for a long time, then I fed raw, got too time consuming and $$$ (20 paws to feed) I was grinding my own food including the bones.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OUCH!!! Others have given you great advice.... best of luck and please keep us posted.

:welcome3:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.