Looking for a RAW diet for Dogs with urate bladder stones

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. I presently have 2 bullies that are suffering from urate stones in their bladder. When we adopted Daisy from the vet, soon after she had surgery to remove 4 large stones. Jackson probably has them because he has spine/nerve issues that prevent him from emptying his bladder properly.

The dogtor has suggested us feeding them Hills U/D, which we have been using for a short amount of time (I know how bad this food is and want to get them off as soon as possible - plus they have alergies to chicke, which is contained in Hill's). I posted on Augie's Health forms on FaceBook looking for a RAW or cooked diet to replace the Hill's and recieved a response from Marie Peppers. I took the diet she recommended to my dogtor, but he did not approve of it.

After being at a local pet store (Bark and Scratch) over the weekend and talking to the owner about diets, we have decided to switch all of our dogs to a RAW diet (there are 2 many reasons to list). Does anyone have any experiences with urate stones and a RAW diet out there? Can you point me to any information? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] should be able to give you some advice/direction

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I'm sorry I do not. I have no experience feeding raw. [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] has the knowledge that you need. I'm sure she will be along shortly.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm on the road at the moment and will get back to this later....but my older boy has affected HUU gene and has had stones surgically removed. He has been eating raw since 7 months old and after the surgery aswell. He has been stone/crystal free and is doing great....to the vets great disbelief...

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So again I have to say that it's very difficult to go against your vets recommendations, but in this case I urge you to do so. Hill's is horrible and you can read it by yourself from the label. I started Usko on raw when he was 7 months because he didn't like his kibble, he ate only now and then, was skinny and started to have bad coat. I'm sure that raw food was one of the reasons he developed bladder stones so quickly. at the age of 13 months. I didn't know he had an affected HUU gene that makes his unable to handle uric acid. Almost all Dalmatians have this same gene, but cause almost all do they are fead so that only about 35% of the males get stones. After his emergency surgery I started to do some serious studying, cause the vet of course wanted to put him on Hill's...I just knew that he would of never eaten it. Luckily I stumbled on a lot of good information on the internet and the best by far was dogaware. Just Google dogaware and Hyperuricosuria and you get to the right page. From there you also find a link that takes you to the raw diet for Dalmatians that was made by the "father of Barf" Dr. Ian Billinghurst and a purine table, where you can find what has the highest and what has the lowest amount of purine. Purine is something that you can't awoid all together but you have to stay clear of the ones are in the red zone. I don't feed like that cause Usko so picky that he would never touchh yoghurt or bananas....He eats most meats, yes, red too. It's very hard to make him eat any veggies, but I've found a way that works, sometimes. You don't have to worry about that if your bully eats ike most bullys. I also measure his urine pH monthly or once in two months, but when starting I did it every week. If I start giving him something new I measure his urine pH. I do it with an electrical meter, cause I think strips are too vague. I also give him baking soda three times a day to make sure his urine pH stays at around 7. He weights around 61 lbs and dosage per day less than a tsp. It did take awhile to get the dosage right and I had to measure his urine pH every other day then. I also give him some multivitamins, but if you decide to do so you have to be sure that the vitamin B doesn't come from any kind of yeast, they're VERY high in purines. It has to be synthetic. There's also an supplement that is for people with gout, called Gout Care and I also give him that. Check the web page and ignore your vet in this case...let me know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
I'm no vet and the only verification that I must be doing something right is my beautiful bullyboy, who's been stone free and healthy since the surgery.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.