Help Needed! Bleeding

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Good Morning! So the past few days Winston has been bleeding from his little bum on and off after he goes to the bathroom. It is bright red and it's only when I wipe. It is not dripping or anything so if I did not wipe him every time he came inside I probably wouldn't even notice it. He was just at the vet this past weekend and I mentioned it they checked and didn't see anything wrong. He did not eat anything & it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. I have started to add pumpkin to his diet becuase I thought maybe he was straining. Has this ever happened to anyone else??? Am I cleaning it too much maybe that I am irritating it?? Thanks all!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
You need to check where it's coming from. If it's the skin around the bum, then put a little neosporin and leave it alone for a bit.
But if it's coming from the inside, go right back to the vet.

L

Lucy-licious

if the vet checked then there is nothing to worry about. Its possible that his stools are too hard so he is tearing a little bit when passing.
If you are using baby wipes to clean him after every poop then maybe something in the wipe is irritating him, are they alcohol free wipes? Maybe use a damp cloth instead. Also you could try using a little baby bottom cream after wiping to see if that helps.

:hug:

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks so much! The wipes are alcohol free & just last night I started putting desitin on it so maybe that will help. His stools do seem to be a bit harder for some reason, but because I am such a worry wort I called the vet back. She said she checked and because it is only a little bit she isn't too concerned she said to try to feed him a bland diet for a few days to give it a break and monitor it. Obviously if it gets worse or persists to call back. Fingers crossed!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This happens with Banks when her :poo: is a little too hard.... I add a little pumpkin to help loosen it up and she is fine in a day or two

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Bright red blood usually means there is a tear or some irritation near the opening, probably from straining as others have said. You might want to add some apples to his snack menu for extra fiber and try to up his water intake. A little exercise (like a longer walk) will help to keep things "moving" will also help.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some good advise above so I have nothing to add, just keep water available 24/7 for him, if your not already.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you so much for the advice!!! I will try adding some apples to his diet. He does have water available 24/7 but I will try to get him to drink some more daily.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
If there is a tear or something how long does it usually take to heal??

Usually within a couple of days once things have softened up and the straining stops. If it doesn't you should go back to your vet. An unhealed tear could lead to an infection and that's something you definitely do not want.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Usually within a couple of days once things have softened up and the straining stops. If it doesn't you should go back to your vet. An unhealed tear could lead to an infection and that's something you definitely do not want.

Ok I will definitely be monitoring it and hope hes doing better within a few days, thanks so much!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online