General Question Clavamox and Baytril for Pneumonia

Hooch

May 7, 2013
Delaware
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
hooch
My EB Hooch has pneumonia for the second time in his 2 1/2 years. Started out as a cough with no other symptoms but a mostly clear nasal discharge sometimes after coughing would be thin white discharge. She has put him on Clavamox and Baytril for two weeks and I asked her if this would be strong enough. She is our new vet since we just moved into Delaware. Our vet back in Maryland used azithromycin and it cleared it up quick....Any input on meds for pneumonia?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I know nothing but will get a few members here who might know.. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION].. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]... [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Clavamox is used to treat bacterial infections, and is affective on respiratory infections. Baytril is another antibiotic used for respiratory infections. I think I would ask the vet why your baby keeps getting pneumonia. Is this vet a good bully vet? If not I would find one. Hooch may have an elongated palate which may be causing the pneumonia.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
My EB Hooch has pneumonia for the second time in his 2 1/2 years. Started out as a cough with no other symptoms but a mostly clear nasal discharge sometimes after coughing would be thin white discharge. She has put him on Clavamox and Baytril for two weeks and I asked her if this would be strong enough. She is our new vet since we just moved into Delaware. Our vet back in Maryland used azithromycin and it cleared it up quick....Any input on meds for pneumonia?

I'm no expert on the medications for pneumonia. But I have heard that if a bulldog eats too fast or gets the food down the airway, it can cause infection or pneumonia, sorry I'm of no help in this, someone will come along soon, many have suffered from it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] .... is in Delaware, may be he is nearby and can give you a good bully vet to get a second opinion

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart

I HIGHLY recommend our Vet - Dr. Beste and his Staff at MIDDLETOWN VETERINARIAN HOSPITAL http://bestvetyet.com/main/
366 Warwick Road, Middletown, DE 19709 tel:1-(302)-378-2342

We live in Smyrna and drive up to him, he used to Breed Bullies back in the day, and his staff is Excellent for bulldog care ! we even board Gizmo and Hershey there when we have to.

They are also on Facebook :)

OP
H

Hooch

May 7, 2013
Delaware
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
hooch
Ok Thank you, We live in Frederica near Bowers beach we think Hooch got KC which turned into pneumonia, I took him and my Jack Russell to the SPCA for shots and it did not dawn on me about illness that they could be exposed to. Huge mistake. My JR is fine but less than a week after the SPCA trip Hooch developed a cough. This new vet is Haven Lake Animal Hosp. in Milford they have 5 vets there. Our plan is if he is not getting much better within a week will call your vet in Middletown. Saw his web site and FB and wish I saw him first. If he seems to get better than I will take him back for his follow up in two weeks with Dr.Holm. Believe me I asked her if this was an aggressive treatment and she seemed to be very confident. I will however keep your vet in mind for future visits. Have your bulldogs ever had pneumonia or respiratory problems? Hooch had pneumonia before when he was 2 months old shortly after picking him up from the breeders...What heart worm meds do you use?

Last edited:
OP
H

Hooch

May 7, 2013
Delaware
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
hooch
I also wanted to say that Dr.Holm said he will be more prone to respiratory problems and pneumonia because of prior pneumonia and that scares me because Hooch is no couch potato. During warm weather Hooch goes swimming at the beach frequently, we also take him fishing and hiking in woods. I just don't want this to affect his quality of life.....

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I have no experience with pneumonia but lots with antibiotics. You might consider adding a probiotic to his diet while he is on the meds. Do not give it to him at the same time as the medicine tho. Give the probiotic with food and the antibiotics either an hour before or after he eats. There are lots of natural ones to give him. Either yogurt or kefir are your best bets.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.