Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I noticed that Maximus has a few Inter-digital cysts on his paws. Has anyone had any experience with these. I've read up on this, and checked to see what has to be done. All I read about is soaking the paws in warm water.

If anyone has any experience with these please let me know.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
Preperation H will help as well :)

Basically what happens is at some point (usually after a nail clipping) the weight on the paws change. When this happens there are new pressure points. The hair between the toes becomes ingrown and causes the cyst, or pocket of infection.

Sadie got them once after I got her. Her previous owners had let her toenails go, and when the vet clipped them it changed how her paws distributed the weight.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
[MENTION=897]Ann Farley Hamilton[/MENTION] should have some good insight for this one. I can only offer her advice which would be to soak it in regular listerine and the above preperation H

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I just have one question about the use of Preparation-H on an area of the paw between the toes.....

Wouldn't the dog lick the paws? I don't think it would be really good if Maximus licked Preparation-H ointment .....

He has cysts on all 4-paws.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Wow, cysts on all four paws sounds like an allergy issue and possibly a serious one. Not to alarm you, but interdigital cysts that are present in that number, especially on hard to keep clean paws, can be difficult and lead to serious infection. I speak from second hand experience as one of our bulldog's breeders had a serious bout of them in one dog that resulted in rounds and rounds of antibiotics, cleaning solutions, and almost led to a surgery. That said, it's great you've identified this and are being proactive.

I recommend soaking in Epsom salts - it cleanses and brings down inflammations and if Maximus is interested in the water, it's no big deal. If you're going to use the Preparation H, you're probably going to have to try to put a clean white sock or something over his paws to prevent from licking.

There is also another thread on this problem here that has more advice but the Epsom salt really worked well for us.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
UPDATE:::

Well, my original post was months ago. Today, Max's interdigital-cysts are still red, swollen and are on all toes, on all 4 paws. Neither one of the VETS in the practice I use seems to be concerned. The recommendation was to clean them with Chlorhexidine solution. I'm not seeing any difference. I think they are bothering Maximus because he is licking them and messing with them. The Internet search
I did from the Merck Veternary Manual says these should be treated with long-term low dose antibiotics. My VET doesn't seem to be overly concerned. Should I address this again with him and push him to be
more agressive in his treatment ???

Thanks.

Patrick

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My vet gave my dog antibiotics and a paw spray and the cysts went away quickly. I'd go to another vet. Surgery seems too extreme. In my dog Wilson they have never come back. I regularly wash his paws with water and epsom salt.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i have had this issue with sarah. i am surprised your vet it not concerned. my vet did a scraping to make sure it was not mange. it wasnt and it only cleared up when we had sarah on just chicken when she had that serious issue with her food posted in another thread. her paws literaly cleared almost completely up in 4 days. i would advise you to change foods. sarah did not do well with the potato in the totw you are using. it made her worse. i honestly would try maybe a natural balance food. maybe the lamb and rice. keep it simple one protein and one carb. see if he gets better. also are you giving him any antihistamine. like benadryl or i have just changed to zyrtec. if they are that bad antibiotics maybe need to help. you can order some chloraseb shampoo or get one from the vet to soak the paws in. really helped with sarah. its ketoconazone and chlorhexadine the soak anyway. i order from entirelypets but you can get it anywhere you want i guess. i soaked her feet twice a week but you may want to do it more. good luck.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
i have had this issue with sarah. i am surprised your vet it not concerned. my vet did a scraping to make sure it was not mange. it wasnt and it only cleared up when we had sarah on just chicken when she had that serious issue with her food posted in another thread. her paws literaly cleared almost completely up in 4 days. i would advise you to change foods. sarah did not do well with the potato in the totw you are using. it made her worse. i honestly would try maybe a natural balance food. maybe the lamb and rice. keep it simple one protein and one carb. see if he gets better. also are you giving him any antihistamine. like benadryl or i have just changed to zyrtec. if they are that bad antibiotics maybe need to help. you can order some chloraseb shampoo or get one from the vet to soak the paws in. really helped with sarah. its ketoconazone and chlorhexadine the soak anyway. i order from entirelypets but you can get it anywhere you want i guess. i soaked her feet twice a week but you may want to do it more. good luck.

Maximus is on NATURE'S VARIETY INSTINCT - Limited Ingredient Diet - One protein, Grain Free, Gluten Free, and NO Potatoes! Yes, he is on both Zyrtec and Benadryl. The Benadryl does not appear to be effective,
as his eyes are red and puffy. He is also getting his paws soaked and cleansed in Chlorhexidine solution (The VET gave me a Jug full). I think I will call him and make another appointment and take Max in to have him see them. I still believe he needs Antibiotic therapy, and hope that the change in diet to Nature's Variety Instinct helps.

Thanks for your help with this.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh i apologize did not realize you had changed his food already and seems you are doing about all you can. i have also heard of putting peroxide on the paws as well but since you are seeing the vet again im sure they will do what is needed. I feel for you as sarah battles this also. Honestly you may have to try many foods to find one that will help max but then again the instinct maybe the ticket. the air is very bad now here so that may have something to do with it also. one of her cysts is starting to get red again. i am having to give sarah zyrtec and aspirin to help her feel better. i so hope maximus feels better soon.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I have Max on Zyrtec daily also....the Benedryl did nothing. He does not go outside at all. The Temps here in North Jersey are just to high right now. So Until the temps come down to 70s, Max has to stay indoors.
I don't want to aggrevate an already bad situation. Yes, the cysts appear to be getting "redder".

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Do you wash your carpet with anything? Could he have an allergy to your carpet/ floor cleaner or laundry detergent? SOunds to me like allergies because his eyes are red too. If it is something he walks on, allergy medicine won't work until you remove whatever it is he's allergic to . Do you use air freshners. I have a fiend who's dogs allergies went crazy because of a Glade Plug In.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.