Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: melatonin

Bulldog Vet in Training gatorfan85's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr.Beefy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: melatonin

Well natural lavender oil. Spray it in his bed... where he lays I've seen people spray it close to their nose to give them a good wiff. Has alot of calming effects.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

o i never even thought about that i have lots lavender oil since im a massage therapist too!!! ya i cant spray in his bed cause he never lays on it he has about 5 diff spots in the bed room thats right on the wood lol

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Just wanted to weigh in quickly here. I take melatonin myself because I had trouble sleeping and before I tried prescription sleep aids, I tried melatonin. Other than make the dog more mellow, it will do nothing to relieve pain or discomfort from an injury. And it really doesn't make you sleepy as much as it can enhance the depth of sleep but commonly causes a "hung over" feeling for some people. But I would echo Libra's advice - it's a supplement and they aren't sure how much or for how long is the right dose for people much less dogs so I would lean towards things that have been tested on dogs. They are safer! I have used Rimadyl on all three of my bullies and used Metacam with Truman, which was very good. We also used Tramadol but that is indicated for more intense post-op pain, since it's an opiate.

I hope Lex feels better soon.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

well i never gave lex any melatonin, we just stuck to what the vet gave us. over the last couple days it looked like lex was improving so I took lex to the park yesterday and noticed he was limping really bad so we ended up going to petsmart "lex rode in the basket" and bo pulled us lol.... i have a gut feeling that its something worse than a sprain or bruise . today will be a week since it happend and if he is still limping when i get home from work and tom morning i'll probably be making a appointment at the vet..

lex will take his last rimadyl today is a week to soon to tell, or should we wait a few more days?

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

There are "calming" pills out there for dogs, I have never looked into what they have in them, but you can purchase them at any major pet store. Those might help keep him quiet after the pain has gone for a good healing!

Always with me

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I think the vet might tell you that you need to keep him quiet for a few weeks. No playing, running, jumping...stairs, etc. If you think about it human wise...it takes us more than a few weeks to recover.

Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

well jeff said today that he is just doing his bulldog strut which means " he's still limping" ill have to look at him when i get home and see what he is really doing!!!! we have been looking at it from a humans point just figured a week he would start to show some good sign that its feeling better. yesterday was really bad, guess the saying it gets worse before it gets better. so ill say if not better by wed i'll take him in... should i call the vet and see what a good relaxing aid is??? the bad thing about our house is you we have a big step up from outside to den, then another step going into kitchen so we've been trying to help him up and down so not alot of weight gets put on it.. the thing we really need is a relaxer for him cause once he feels good he starts rolling running etc and we have to stop him... poor thing is going stir crazy!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads