heat question

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
So I have read and heard all about bulldogs sensitivity to the heat. I have boxers so I get that but I also know they can tolerate it better. It is 70 degrees here today and within 2 minutes of being outside(not running around just being outside) Ernie is panting like a steam engine. I brought him in right away but I was assuming that they could tolerate this type of heat...I was thinking more around 80 degrees. Is this normal? He is supposed to have that nose surgery when he is neutered and I am hoping that will help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes... Very normal especially if in direct sun. The is an article here on the site about the subject ... I'll find and post link here for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I'm also wondering if the humidity (do you even get that in Michigan?) has anything to do with it. It might only be 70 but the humidity might play a factor in the heat, too.
Great question!
And...by the way...I'm a nut about boxers, too! Post some pics of your babies.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sitting in the sun they can over heat pretty quickly, even @ 70 F.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So I have read and heard all about bulldogs sensitivity to the heat. I have boxers so I get that but I also know they can tolerate it better. It is 70 degrees here today and within 2 minutes of being outside(not running around just being outside) Ernie is panting like a steam engine. I brought him in right away but I was assuming that they could tolerate this type of heat...I was thinking more around 80 degrees. Is this normal? He is supposed to have that nose surgery when he is neutered and I am hoping that will help.

here is the article i was referring to .... http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...-article-a-Must-Rread!&highlight=article+heat

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
So do you guys not walk your dogs even in the very early hours? like 6am? do you basically run your air all of the time? my mom lives in florida and her neighbor has a bully....not sure how a bulldog survives in florida!!! thanks for the article!!!! we had no humidity today but Michigan can get very humid.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So do you guys not walk your dogs even in the very early hours? like 6am? do you basically run your air all of the time? my mom lives in florida and her neighbor has a bully....not sure how a bulldog survives in florida!!! thanks for the article!!!! we had no humidity today but Michigan can get very humid.

There are many FLA members here that can give you/your mom some suggestions... [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] , [MENTION=649]bubba[/MENTION]sapig, [MENTION=4786]Dubbiedog[/MENTION] , [MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION]
[MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION] is in Michigan, as well... she may have so suggestions for you too. Here in PA, I either walk very early AM or after sundown... or a lot of times not at all due to humidity. Yes, AC is on from May - Oct set at between 70-72

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

the surgery you are talking about should help, his nose is probably very narrow inside which is restricting air flow. see how it goes after the surgery, until then keep him cool and calm would be best.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We didn't have Mabel until January of this year, so we are concerned about how she is going to handle the heat this summer. The 80-degree day we had last week made her very uncomfortable. I believe we are going to be walking her in the morning or early evening this summer. It really does get humid here. I was talking about a stroller today . . . Bill thinks I'm nuts.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
We do run the air pretty much 24/7 here in FL. I have a fenced in yard so Vegas pretty much goes out and goes potty and right back in. He gets his excercise by us playing rough with him inside the house, he will play hard, then pretty much just splat on the cool tile to cool off. Vegas does like to sun himself so I do give him less than 5 minutes in the morning sitting out the back door.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All good advice given above. We also have really hot and humid summers here, and my guys will pant if they play too long even in the house. We keep the air conditioner on 68 to 70 degrees, we keep a pet water cooler constantly filled with cool water for them to drink, and we take them on their walks early in the morning and again late in the evening. We usually take them down to the trail, and river behind my house early in the morning and let them go for a a good 20 min run and then for their last walk at night, we usually go out around 10 pm, and we walk around the block, it takes about 30 to 40 mins, and this usually tires them out and they sleep right through the night. During the day when it's hot, they go out about every 4 to 5 hours and just long enough to do their duties, and then back inside.

Most Reactions