Struvite Crystals

sherden24

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gumbo
I'm so confused. Gumbo had a bacterial infection in her bladder. She is still taking antibiotics. She is peeing much better. The vet found struvite crystals and wanted her on the hills diet which is almost $3 a can and 2 times a day. I did not want to do that however the vet said that the medicine could put her at risks for all kinds of things.

I cook for her and now she is having trouble pooping and also her yeast is flaring up. I also read that some bulldogs just have these and you should not change her diet. I get conflicting info. I'm frustrated cause I love my baby but I don't know what is bet for her. The food is $$$ but if it worked I would spend the money. I'm still just not exactly sure how doing a diet change helps but the med side effects were scary also.

Any help?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I don't have any experience with this but vets are very quick to push the Hills food and its garbage food! I don't believe it helps at all! My brothers boston terrier has pancreas issues and the vet kept pushing the food on them! They had tried it and he got horrible hot spots on his feet an neck! They started a home cooked diet and works great for him! I will tag some member who may have some advice [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

I think there was a member who went through something similar but it slippe my mind who :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I don't have any experience with struvite crystals, but what I have heard is they need less protein and more sodium in their diet to make it more acidic. I know [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] can help with a home cooked meal that can help you and if memory serves me correctly I think [MENTION=4573]Ftse 100[/MENTION]0 has some experience with this. I could be wrong though. :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Actually more protein makes urine more acidic. Struvites are normally caused by UTI. Infection raises urine pH, and struvites are formed. You need to make her urine more acidic and that can be done with more protein, vitamin C, cranberry and other acidic foods and such. You just need to know her pH and you can check it with strips or an electrical meter. Check the website dogaware. There you can find a lot of good info on differnd kind of stones and how food is the best medicine. I do not recommend Hill's, raw or home cooking is much better, but you have to do your homework.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Actually more protein makes urine more acidic. Struvites are normally caused by UTI. Infection raises urine pH, and struvites are formed. You need to make her urine more acidic and that can be done with more protein, vitamin C, cranberry and other acidic foods and such. You just need to know her pH and you can check it with strips or an electrical meter. Check the website dogaware. There you can find a lot of good info on differnd kind of stones and how food is the best medicine. I do not recommend Hill's, raw or home cooking is much better, but you have to do your homework.
:goodpost:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Also she really could benefit from pro- and prebiotics. Yeast can take over when on antibiotics.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

:goodpost: and also please keep us updated

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this one, but I have heard cranberry juice too well I know this helps with humans so maybe with pets too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] has given you the best advice..... good luck and keep us posted

OP
sherden24

sherden24

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gumbo
We are doing cranberry tablets along with the food. I searched for the info on dogaware but it was overwhelming. I'm just baffled overall. Thanks

OP
sherden24

sherden24

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gumbo
So we go back to the dr on Thursday. She is going to check her urine and see if her bladder infection is better. I have one more week of the diet food and then we are going back to the home cooking. I am not sure if I will do the medicine or if I will just not treat it. I think from what I have read is that it's hereditary and either they go away or they don't and you have to have surgery. Any other thoughts anyone? I still was not able to find out much about the homemade diet food.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
I can't give any better advice than what is in dogaware. This following is from that article of Stuvite stones...

"Struvite crystals do not require a change in diet. Because struvite crystals do not pose a problem unless the dog has a urinary tract infection, there is no required treatment for crystals, including dietary changes. If the dog does have a urinary tract infection, a prescription dog food will not cure it.
If your veterinarian finds struvite crystals in the urine and suggests a diet change , you'd be well advised to find a new vet. You have to wonder how many other things he or she is misinformed about. It isn't just a case of not keeping up with newer research; this recommendation is just plain wrong."

I know how hard it is to go against your vets recommendations, but sometimes you just have to, to do what's best for your bully.
Been there and still am.
I pm you the link straight to the right page.

OP
sherden24

sherden24

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gumbo
Thanks Risi! At the time she did have a UTI but finished the antibiotic today. I have a few cans of the food left and will feed it to her but other than that, I'm not gonna fool with any special food. I had seen that previously but was hesitant to stop the diet.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online