aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
don't be afraid to give them antlers, they are a great source of glucosamine and they keep Lolas teeth so clean. we have a very strong chewer and those molars are like a pair of scissors... i took Lolas away for now until she gets the tooth out and heals but they are generally good for bullies. I'll just keep an eye on her teeth from now on.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola is at the clinic today overnight cry, for surgery first thing next morning. palate, maybe nare widening, and tooth extraction. i hope she can relax there tonight, she doesn't like to eat in public so i know she's hungry. and i miss her!!!!!!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola is at the clinic today overnight cry, for surgery first thing next morning. palate, maybe nare widening, and tooth extraction. i hope she can relax there tonight, she doesn't like to eat in public so i know she's hungry. and i miss her!!!!!!!

You've got my thoughts with you tonight and tomorrow. I know how hard it can be to miss them!! Ever since this happened to you I have had a complete shift in attitude towards antlers. I know that they are good for them but I never ever want to put Buster at jeopardy. Lola will be so happy to see you!

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
You've got my thoughts with you tonight and tomorrow. I know how hard it can be to miss them!! Ever since this happened to you I have had a complete shift in attitude towards antlers. I know that they are good for them but I never ever want to put Buster at jeopardy. Lola will be so happy to see you!

thank you for your thoughts! Lola is out of surgery, don't know exactly what happened with the palate yet but tooth extracted. dentist said deer antlers are #1 reason she is in business. nylabones are #2. lolas other mountain teeth on the other side are both chipped as well. and the tooth they extracted was abcessed so she will be on antibiotics too. waiting to hear from palate surgeon, but Lola happily sleeping at the clinic overnight tonight.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
thank you for your thoughts! Lola is out of surgery, don't know exactly what happened with the palate yet but tooth extracted. dentist said deer antlers are #1 reason she is in business. nylabones are #2. lolas other mountain teeth on the other side are both chipped as well. and the tooth they extracted was abcessed so she will be on antibiotics too. waiting to hear from palate surgeon, but Lola happily sleeping at the clinic overnight tonight.

Awwe, poor baby had an abcess. I'm happy she is sleeping good.

#1 reason she in business!!! That is OUTrageous!!! These poor dogs have enough to deal with without additional things like this. Big big lesson learned by me. Thank you so much for posting this. I hope the palate surgeon only has good news for you.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I'm glad Lola did well! Aubie will be sad, but I will be taking her antler away today. Thanks for posting this... we've always been concerned about something hard cracking her teeth, and now I know its a well founded worry!

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Just got off the phone with the surgical tech who was in the OR for the palate surgery. She said that Lola had one of the longest palates they had seen, which was a huge relief to me knowing that what was causing her to have trouble breathing was identifiable and now corrected. So they nipped the palate length, opened the nares on the nose a bit, and also trimmed some nodules that are also in the airway. Lola is doing well, calm in her crate at the vet clinic, and they'll be keeping her O/N again tonight to monitor for swelling, but minimal so far. If they had found nothing wrong, i would have been even more concerned that we had no other options to help her breathe better.

If you are ever wondering whther your bully has an elongated palate, the dog may breathe normally most of the time. But it is when she's excited or after a (even really) short walk, that they just cannot calm down. They pant for 30 minutes after a short walk and every breath sounds like it's not getting past her throat because of a bunch of phlegm. The extra tissue (hence elongated palate) flaps against the throat and prevents the majority of the air going down, BUT this is severely complicated by the panting and slobbering because all that saliva goes down, gets flapped by the tissues, and becomes all foamy, coating the airway and no NO air gets by. Lola's tongue turned blue one time and i've been coddling her ever since. She gets all phlegmy even on the drive home from the vet because she gets anxious and I can hear when each breath doesnt get her oxygen. Hit her with lemon juice, jam my hand down her throat to scoop out some saliva, she throws up, breaths ok for a few and more saliva gets caught. its truly terrifying. and was happening with no real exercise on lola's part. i knew something was wrong. and boy am i glad i went to a third vet finally who took care of it.

i miss her so much and cant wait to see that sillly bum when we pick her up tomorrow. i want to thank [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] for his advice on that one thread with that one video who made me convinced that i needed a second opinion from a new vet. and whoever posted that original video. you have helped me save my bully. she's just turned 2years old and will have such a better life.

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
going to pick up my bear cub tonight!!!!!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Woo Hoo!! She'll be the happiest little girl on earth and be able to sleep! You have to let us know how it goes.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:D:D, I'm happy she's back home. Now for a quick recovery. Love you little Lola!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Yes, our vet advised us not to let the boys chew antlers. Not only can they damage their teeth, but sharp pieces break off and get lodged in the intestines. We have opted for the safe rather than sorry and took the antlers away. Ruggles is a powerful chewer. @BruceP & @LariP I found a soft toy for Buster that Ruggles hasn't destroyed--it's a HARD CORE Fire Hose Dog Toy. It is made out of fire hose material, very tough. I got it at PETCO.

2 Firehose toys bought and destroyed But it did take her a couple weeks. LOL

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
@LariP you should have named her JAWS!

Alice, Little Miss Amelia has that nick name currently and it has nothing to do with destroying toys. HRH is the toy destroyer. It'll be interesting to see what Amy is like once she gets strong teeth instead of sharp ones.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.