Just a safety reminder since Halloween is just about here!

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
Since Halloween is just about here, I thought I would post a few reminders to keep our babies safe during this time! :bully:

Keep the phone number of the ASPCA Poison Control on your refridgerator in case of an emergency! It could save your dog's life!
888-426-4435 Hopefully none of us will ever have to use it!

If your baby is a chewer, watch out for them chewing on fake cobwebs. They can be a choking hazzard and watch out for lit candles that may be burning...I had a dog years ago that knocked a lit candle off of a table. Thank goodness I caught it in time! It could have been a disaster!

Also make sure that your dog is microchipped and has their collar and tags on. With all of the activity around the house you want to make sure and keep an eye on your babies to make sure that they don't run out when you open the door for Trick or Treaters. If your dog gets nervous with all the activity, it might be best to keep them away from all of the action. Never leave them in a fenced yard by themselves not even for a few minutes so they can potty. With all the strangers, it would be so easy for someone to snatch them.

Make sure all candy is put away out of reach of your baby. Chocolate tastes so good to us, but they can make your dog vomit and have diarreah, high doses of chocolate can cause seizures or even death. Also remember the darker the chocolate the more harmful to your dog.

Zylitol (a sweetner) which is in sugar free gum and candy will make a dog produce insuline which can cause possible seizures and liver failure.

Macadamia nuts and chocolate are a deadly combination. A lot of candies contain raisens and or macadamia nuts. Raisens and grapes can destroy your dogs kidneys. Macadamia nuts cause wobbliness, fever and vomiting.

Have a great and safe Halloween!

Last edited:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
What we did last year was place a baby gate in the frame of the door. I was still able to shut the door competely...but once I opened it, the gate would be blocking the way. That way, I was sure that they wouldn't bolt when the door was opened.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thanks [MENTION=490]reallyrob[/MENTION]! Really good advice, especially for those that are celebrating their first halloween with their bullies!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Great ideas!!

OP
reallyrob

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
What we did last year was place a baby gate in the frame of the door. I was still able to shut the door competely...but once I opened it, the gate would be blocking the way. That way, I was sure that they wouldn't bolt when the door was opened.

Great idea with the gate. I never thought about doing that! Thanks!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I have the babygate in the inside of the doorframe for the pantry. That's what gave me the idea for the frontdoor. It's too bad we don't have a screen door like the type they have in RVs. The have the hole in the screen to reach the handle. If I had that, I'd just hand out candy thru the screen hole! But since I don't...I baby gate it.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
wow never even thought about all the cautions, thanks for the reminders we are usually doing the trick or treating never have to give candy out.. this is our first yr w lex he was gonna go with us but now that his a gimp we will have to lock him up good inside the house!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
great post, thank you for all that advice!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online