Help Needed! Swollen face, eyes, spots, and fever!!

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Ok! So today while I was at work my girlfriend was taking care of louie they played outside and she fed him some watermelon.. after she saw his cheeks get really red, hard and his eye get swollen.. she saw some itchy spots on his belly and scrotum.. she panicked not sure of what may be going on with him.. she gave him half a pill of Benadryl, at that point she called me and I told her to take him to the vet IMMEDIATELY.. I just picked him up not too long ago he looks so much more better vet told me that if she had waited a bit longer his neck may have swollen shut.. she also said he was burning up with a fever I asked if an allergy screening would determine the cause because as a concerned pops i just wanted to know what it was.. i didn't want to let him go outside anymore.. she insisted that it could have been anything and that an allergy screening wouldn't help as much as it happening again and having a better idea of what is causing that. Has anyone ever experienced this..? I wish I was present while it happened but my girlfriend claims it happened out of nowhere.. i really don't want to say that it could have been the watermelon.. he's had watermelon before and been just fine. Vet also said that it may have been a bug bite that cause the reaction.. Thoughts? Thanks.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes a bug bite- most likely bees or ants can cause this! Thank goodness she got him there in time! That benedryl may have saved his life too- that was the perfect thing to do in this situation.

I would now also be careful with the watermelon- maybe he had more of it than before. Just keep it in mind!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Scary!!!! The vet is right and it could've been anything. I'd be keeping him away from any type of melon from now on though!!

BulldogMoma

Apr 15, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Morgan (born 5-28-2013) Clyde (2004-2012)
I would guess ants, or possibly a bee sting. Be sure to check your yard for ant beds and destroy any you find. Thankful your girlfriend knew what to do, and that your Louie is going to be fine.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good thing she took him in. If it happens again just remember you can give 1 mg per lb. of weight for Benedryl. So if he weighs 55 lbs. give 50 mg.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
How Scary...Jake has EATEN 3 bees and of course..gotten stung! I gave him Benadryl all 3 times and while there was swelling..It wasn't near as scary as yours! He might be super allergic to Bee venom..like some people are..they have emergency dosages of epinephryn for this. Might think about having something on hand too!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My Usko had this awhile ago and we never figured out what caused it. We didn't take him to the vet cause it didn't affect his breathing. We gave him a pill of cortisone and it cleared in a day or two. I was a little freaked out then, but we had a vets office very near.
My little one had this same thing just last week. Even more severe. His face was really swollen and his body full of bumps, but it didn't affect his breathing eather. So the same medicine and the same way it cleared. Voitto eats everything (stones, sand, wood, zink paste from Usko's face....) and is very curious and will most likely have this happen again. We've moved, so the vet is further away. I can't restrict his life so that nothing can't happen, so I just have to have medicine ready and stay calm.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This happen to Banks when she was about two... just out of no where 11 o'clock at night, she started panting and rubbing her vface all over the rug. I get out of bed, turn on the light and she was red, swollen, hives from one end to the other - she could hardly breathe. We rushed her to the ER... no clue what caused it or why it happen.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I was gonna say what everyone else already has....must've been an insect bite. I'd lay off the watermelon, too. Your girlfriend was super smart to get him drugs before the vet, but just incase he suddenly developed an allergy to watermelon, play it safe.
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] wait a minute..he ate three bees and three different times? Whoa. I thought he ate three bees at once. Man that must've been scary and frustrating..you'd think he'd have learned his lesson oh, the first or second time?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I was gonna say what everyone else already has....must've been an insect bite. I'd lay off the watermelon, too. Your girlfriend was super smart to get him drugs before the vet, but just incase he suddenly developed an allergy to watermelon, play it safe.
@JAKEISGREAT wait a minute..he ate three bees and three different times? Whoa. I thought he ate three bees at once. Man that must've been scary and frustrating..you'd think he'd have learned his lesson oh, the first or second time?

:bang: Yes..3 different bees at 3 different times....because I guess he likes buzzing, stinging insects bopping around his mouth! I was really only nervous the first time..I had a Dobie who ate everything once too....;). And once I saw Jake just gets Fatter lips I knew Benadryl would handle it ok.

OP
L

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
UPDATE. After picking him up from the vet yesterday he seemed a lot more better! He was definitely worn out from the experience.. but at 3am just like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] he woke up scratching all over chewing on his paws and ramming his big o'l head into the pillow case.. he broke out in hives his cheeks tough and red. i've never felt so helpless! out of nowhere! I stayed up with him the whole night I knew he wasn't in any danger because his temperature was fine and he was breathing normally so i just waited till the morning.. they gave him a shot of Benadryl and they gave me oatmeal shampoo.. he seems fine now still has the hives and redish face I just don't know what to do for him anymore..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UPDATE. After picking him up from the vet yesterday he seemed a lot more better! He was definitely worn out from the experience.. but at 3am just like @2BullyMama he woke up scratching all over chewing on his paws and ramming his big o'l head into the pillow case.. he broke out in hives his cheeks tough and red. i've never felt so helpless! out of nowhere! I stayed up with him the whole night I knew he wasn't in any danger because his temperature was fine and he was breathing normally so i just waited till the morning.. they gave him a shot of Benadryl and they gave me oatmeal shampoo.. he seems fine now still has the hives and redish face I just don't know what to do for him anymore..

All good --- just keep a close eye on him, watch how he breathes. Even though our experience was years ago... it is VERY fresh in my mind due to the fear that instilled in me. Benedryl every 6-8 hours to keep it under control.

It was scary , really scary

OP
L

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
that's exactly how Lou's face looked.. I'll definitely keep at it with the Benadryl.. his hives have significantly gone down now that I bathed him in oatmeal! Hopefully he will be able to sleep tonight he still has some pink on his face but not anything compared to early and yesterday.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
UPDATE. After picking him up from the vet yesterday he seemed a lot more better! He was definitely worn out from the experience.. but at 3am just like @2BullyMama he woke up scratching all over chewing on his paws and ramming his big o'l head into the pillow case.. he broke out in hives his cheeks tough and red. i've never felt so helpless! out of nowhere! I stayed up with him the whole night I knew he wasn't in any danger because his temperature was fine and he was breathing normally so i just waited till the morning.. they gave him a shot of Benadryl and they gave me oatmeal shampoo.. he seems fine now still has the hives and redish face I just don't know what to do for him anymore..

Well.. thinking positive .. you can rule out the watermelon!!!

Could it be environmental do you think? All the cherry blossoms are out here right now and I for one, am suffering like crazy. As I know a lot of our bullies are!!

OP
L

Louie89

Aug 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Day 3.. he has now begun to throw up his food.. he threw up his breakfast and dinner.. he still has some hives bumbs on his legs and belly and i noticed a tough scabby looking thing by his rib which i presume to be a hot spot.. his face and breathing are normal, it might be that the daily doses of benedryl might be making him bring his food up.. gah.. I just want him to be back to normal :l

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.