General Question tail amputation

BeeGee

Apr 26, 2013
Bryan, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula Belle & Big Chief
Hello- I'm looking for info, good/bad stories, etc about tail amputations. We just scheduled ours for May 22nd. Belle has a pretty bad inverted tail and the vet is concerned about it already getting infections at 4 months old. We have cleared up the current infection (antibiotics, anti-inflammatory pills, stridex pads...) and are hoping it stays that way until the surgery. This vet is the local go-to for bullys and seems to think she may be able to even leave a very small "nub" (I don't care either way as long as she's healthy). Has anyone seen or know of one of these surgeries that had complications or did not go as planned? Just trying to feel out the possibilities.
We thought about doing this surgery when we do her spay, but the vet wants her to go through a heat cycle before spaying (puppy vaginitis) and I don't want to wait that long for her tail as she seems uncomfortable with it. Has anyone had them done at the same time or done the tail at a young age?

Thanks for any input!

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
My boy had his tail amputated about 18 mths ago. it was the best thing I've ever done for my little guy. He's sooooo much happier and the vet did an amazing job. You can't even tell he ever had a tail. You won't regret it at all:) best of luck to you and your little girl!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I have no experience but I know [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] baby Vegas had a tail amputation so maybe she can shed some light on the subject for you.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
We had to Amputate Gizmo's tail at about 18 months - the best thing we did for her, totally different puppy ! happy and healthy, and no one messing with her bum anymore ! !

Be prepared, as it is MAJOR Surgery, I wasnt ready for the incision and the drain tubes. There are a few YouTube video's out there about this proceedure. (my wife said she watched some)

BEST OF LUCK........... and remember to tell the Vet. *NO ACE* ! ! ! ! (the drug 'Ace' can kill bulldogs and other flat faced dogs) !

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
We had to Amputate Gizmo's tail at about 18 months - the best thing we did for her, totally different puppy ! happy and healthy, and no one messing with her bum anymore ! !

Be prepared, as it is MAJOR Surgery, I wasnt ready for the incision and the drain tubes. There are a few YouTube video's out there about this proceedure. (my wife said she watched some)

BEST OF LUCK........... and remember to tell the Vet. *NO ACE* ! ! ! ! (the drug 'Ace' can kill bulldogs and other flat faced dogs) !

Great advice :clap2: for [MENTION=8688]BeeGee[/MENTION]

Bailey McCandless

Feb 24, 2011
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Blake, Bentley, Brittany
My Bentley just had his amputated last week. He is still healing, but doing well. You just have to watch him especially in his crate because he learned he could rub it back and forth on the crate when it itched. We were scared he was going to bust his incision open. We can already see a difference though and he is going to feel so much better.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Hi.....Yep. Vegas had his tail amputated at 7 months old. Best thing we did for him. Why would they not do the tail amp and spay together? It is so risky for bulldogs to be put under....why do it twice?? Anyways...everything went as planned for us. Vegas didn't do well on the pain meds they gave us originally, so we had them add tramadol. He was so much better after that. Make sure you have plenty of bed sheets and towels around...the seeping will get everywhere. If you want, I can post butt pictures from after the surgery. We just had another post about this last week, you might find some good info there too.
Vegas was pretty much out of it the first day, then second day he was crying a lot...then we added the tramadol. Immediate difference. By the beginning of day 3 he was climbing on the furniture. We really tried to keep him quiet and still...but he was feeling so good. He actually ended up popping a stitch. Luckily....the healing was already underway...so they just left it. Let me know if you'd like me to post Vegas bootie shots.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Our Lucy had hers done when she was about 18 months old. Everything went well and it was the best thing for her. No more problems, or cleaning. Our vet left the skin there without the bone and she still looks like she had a little bun tail.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I do not have experience, but wnated to wish you and Lula luck and hope everything goes well. Please keep us posted.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I just wanted to send :hug: to you and Lulu Belle. Looks like you have done wonderful experiences from others here. Best of luck.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
great advise from others! I have no experience in this either but wanted to send you love and support from us! Please keep us posted.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
No experience either but wanted to wish Lula Belle (LOVE HER NAME!) a safe procedure and speedy recovery!

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Good luck! We take Winston back to the vet to get checked out on Saturday as we have been having issues with infections also, he seems to be doing much better but it was talked about that if what we are doing now isn't working we may have to go the same route. :hug:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.