Heavy Panting/Overheating?

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Ive looked and havent seen this, but Im sure its here somewhere. This is my first bout of warm weather with Colossus. He was out sunbathing Sunday (upper 60s/lower 70s) and I heard him panting fairly heavy, so I brought him in. Then yesterday he was panting fairly heavy after just a little bit of playing (it was 70s in the house and low 80s outside). We werent playing outside. His tongue was normal pink, not red or purple/blue at all and he would drink water. I just want to make sure he didnt get over heated on Sunday and it carried into Monday. Im being paranoid, hopefully.

Can someone give me clues to what to watch out for if he does get overheated, or worse?

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
once the temperature hits 70's we limit outside activities, and no hard playing, we used to keep our house at 78 degrees in the summer, but with the bullies we have to keep it at 72-74 or they start getting lathargic and panting alot.

Heat + Bullies = *NOT GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD* and *NEVER* ever ever let your bullies, or any pets, in your car unattended - 'even for a minute !'

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Just keep an eye out, they don't know when they have had enough, just like toddlers!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It's a good idea to keep some lemon juice around. The kind in the squirt bottle. If they get too hot and have a hard time breathing due to phlegm build up in the back of their throat, squirt some lemon juice in their mouth to clear it out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
any temp over 70 can be quickly dangerous especially if it is a bright sunny day. Keep a close eye on him and limit any/all activities, even limit length of walks ... they overheat very quick so it is better to be paranoid and be safe.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
What feels cool to us may not feel cool to a bully. You have to keep an eye on them. Sarah will try to sunbathe in 95 degree heat n would lay there panting if I let her. They have cool collars n I believe vests you may want to look into. I have fans in the house I let blow on her if she gets hot in the house.

OP
RazrRila99

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Thank you everyone! Many kudos to you. We had a couple days above 80 (Mon/Tues) that he didnt get outside, he was very pouty with me and had A LOT of built up energy last night.

Is it bad to give him ice water to help keep him cool or is that bad?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I usually put two or three ice cubes in their water bowl on hot days.... Cheli (Frenchie) likes to play and eat them

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
As everyone has mentioned bullies and heat are a dangerous mix. One of the first things I did before I brought Dozer home was prepare a Bulldog Heat Medical kit. This consists of PURE lemon juice, no additives or anything of the sort, along with a KOOL Collar. Thankfully, I have not had to use these product and hopefully never will, but its a good idea to keep them in your home and take them with you if you are going to be out with your bully all day. I think a KOOL collar is essential as well since it will cool all the arteries/blood in his neck. This is the best way to cool him off and lower his blood and body temperature in a short period of time.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online