URGENT!!! Entropion Surgery Gone Wrong

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
My poor Dually had entropian surgery 3 times!! The first time I let a doctor do it that I wasn't completely comfortable with because I worked with her and the price was right. When I went to pick him up first thing she told me was that he will probably need the procedure done again in a couple years. Well exactly 2 months later, I noticed a lot of drainage from his eyes and he was squinting pretty bad. So I took him to work with me and had the doctor look at him. Of course he needed the procedure done a second time. Now mind you my Dually is an extremely wrinkly bulldog and this doctor wanted to remove his nose wrinkle and some of his wrinkles from his face because she said it was the only way to keep his eyes from folding in again. I absolutely refused to do that to him, afterall, I love his wrinkles!! Oh did I mention that she also does the entropian with a laser?? Come to find out after 2 surgeries that she never even removed any of the extra skin she was just trying to tighten his extremely wrinkled forehead by doing laser surgery!!!! So after the 2nd surgery I took him home, waited for him to heal and noticed nothing different. Within 2 months of the 2nd surgery he was at it again, lots of drainage and squinting. I found another doctor to do the surgery and this time it was done right, she removed skin from around his eyes thus pulling the eyelids up and making the lashes point out. This was done 2-1/2 years ago and I have not had another problem with his eyes. I do put ointment in them a couple days a week just to make sure they are not bothering him. He had a vet appointment a week ago and the vet said his eyes looked good!! I'm so glad because I really didn't want to put him through another surgery like that!! I could kick myself for letting the first doctor touch him not once but twice!!

OP
Isabel and Jackson

Isabel and Jackson

Jul 5, 2012
Relocate around the US once a year for work.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson and Izzy
[MENTION=8719]buffym[/MENTION]

Oh my!!!!!!!! I cannot believe that. First off, I think it is totally unethical if the doctor didn't even tell you that she did not even remove skin, which for these dogs - is the ONLY cure.

After giving Jackson his ointments every day, his left eye is doing okay but he still squints it. I have a feeling that he is going to need another surgery due to "under correction" as our Opthalmologist would call it - even though when he got his stitches taken out, he stated that he "over corrected".... I do not know what is going on with that - he called me last week telling me about his under correction and would probably have to see Jackson again, and of course, we would have to pay for it - someone on here stated that their opthalmologist did it without charge.

Then I go back to the main reason I started this post. I had a feeling this was going to happen when I first saw his eye rolling in after the 1st surgery. We are back at square one, treating his ulcers.

I take Jackson in to our regular Vet in the morning to see if his ulcers has healed, then back to the Opthalmologist for possible 2nd surgery.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Sadly , one of the generally common conditions of bulldogs. And like you, my dog has a super wrinkle face. The first puppy visit to my vet, a sub vet was there that day. She looked at him and said that he should have surgery to remove his nose rope. WHAT... I think not. Beside the nose rope is not what his eye issues were.

He did end up have laser surgery to correct two cherry eyes. Not the same as yours, but I just wanted to add that laser surgery is far less evasive, less damaging and faster repair. Had both eyes done over a year ago and no issues since then.

Good Day~

OP
Isabel and Jackson

Isabel and Jackson

Jul 5, 2012
Relocate around the US once a year for work.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson and Izzy
Thanks [MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION] & [MENTION=4573]Ftse 100[/MENTION].

When I took him in to the vet this morning, he told me that his ulcer is actually worse - I take him in first thing on Thursday morning for surgery again. The opthalmologist actually wanted to just staple the eyelids out to see if it was just "spastic" but I told him no, because if it was spastic, then this is just going to happen again & again with us treating his ulcers. So I told him that I would rather make another correction to make sure that there is no chance for spastic entropion to happen again and let's hope that it is done correctly. I felt like I kind of called him out on his method - but what I think is ethical is to correctly fix this issue so that we don't cause future damage to Jackson's eyes, which bugs me that he did not recommend what I came up with. I'm weary of even taking Jackson back because of this unethical method that this doctor seems to be going about it.

My poor Jackson! :( Thanks everyone for listening!

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Thanks @ABEBD & @Ftse 100.

When I took him in to the vet this morning, he told me that his ulcer is actually worse - I take him in first thing on Thursday morning for surgery again. The opthalmologist actually wanted to just staple the eyelids out to see if it was just "spastic" but I told him no, because if it was spastic, then this is just going to happen again & again with us treating his ulcers. So I told him that I would rather make another correction to make sure that there is no chance for spastic entropion to happen again and let's hope that it is done correctly. I felt like I kind of called him out on his method - but what I think is ethical is to correctly fix this issue so that we don't cause future damage to Jackson's eyes, which bugs me that he did not recommend what I came up with. I'm weary of even taking Jackson back because of this unethical method that this doctor seems to be going about it.

My poor Jackson! :( Thanks everyone for listening!

I hope Jackson will be feeling better soon. My Bocephus had the entropion surgery in October 2012. My vet also said they are careful to not overcorrect and purposefully take 'less'. Unlike your situation, my vet is one that does not charge if more needs to be removed later. Luckily, since the surgery, Bo's eye has been terrific. He does not make enough tears though now, so we do have to clean his eye daily and use lubricant ointment daily. Otherwise, his eye would be covered in green gunky stuff. Over all, I am happy we decided to have it done. We were constantly battling ulcers which I am certain are painful. We, knock on wood, haven't had any since.
I hope your vet can help you help him. It's so sad when our babies are hurting. Prayers for Jackson from KY tonight!!!

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
Poor Jackson!! Hope you can get his better and make him more comfortable!!
[MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION]: My vet did the same thing, told me he needed his nose wrinkle removed, I thought she was nuts and said I wasnt going to do it. She is also the same one that told me (without even examining him first) that he needed his palet shortened and his nares done because he was panting!! I swear if I didn't work with that lady she would have never had an opportunity to lay her filthy hands on him!! Thank God for the other vet that fixed his eyes right.

thiaeyemd

May 29, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
pete
I am an oculoplastic surgeon (for humans). I can tell you that entropion repair can be tricky and has a 10% failure rate. There is no surgery that is 100% and entropion repair is definitely in that category. The anatomy for dogs and humans are the exact same and the mechanism of repair is the same. If there is an ulcer and you overcorrect it, it would result in the eyelid turning out, the eye drying out and the eye getting even worse damage. It is not like changing a part on a dishwasher in that each patient is different and what is needed is different. Surgical success takes a second seat to maintaining safety for the patient so I can understand the desire for under correction by the vet ophthalmologist. Some things to think about.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.