URGENT!!! Entropion Surgery Gone Wrong

Isabel and Jackson

Jul 5, 2012
Relocate around the US once a year for work.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson and Izzy
My year & half old Jackson has entropion eye in both of his eyes, suspected by my primary Veterinarian. First I took him the the Ophthalmologist recommended by my veterinarian, when he saw him, he said he had corneal ulcers in each eye and that he believed that there was a possibility that my dog just had spastic Entropy - in which the Entropy happens because the eye is irritated, an ongoing circle of clenching his eyes because of the ulcers. So he recommended that he put staples in the eyes first so that he could heal the ulcers first, I realized that this might cost more since I truly felt that my pup had Entropion that was not just spastic. But hey, I'm not an Ophthalmologist what do I know, so I didn't question it.

3 weeks later, I take him in to get the staples out. With the staples in, his eyes looked wonderful, but low & behold, not even two days after, his eyes were rolling in again & getting swollen. I took him in the 3rd day to have the Entropion procedure of removing skin below each eye, I didn't want Jackson to go through any more pain with his eyes. When I got him back that same day, his eyes looked good for the most part - I have to say, I expected him to be more wide eyed but he wasn't. The ophthalmologist advised me that he made a decision to not take TOO much skin because he didn't want to over-correct his eyes & make him look bug-eyed; although I disagreed with that because of how much Jackson's eyelids were rolling in, I felt it would be hard to take too much skin. I did not say anything because I trusted this doctor that his method was ethically correct.

Well we are here 10 days later after the surgery, Jackson is clenching his left eye shut & the right eye is on its way as well. Something I did not notice before was these blue stitches that apparently were stitches to his eye lids to somewhere lower under his eyes to keep his eyes opened - they had popped out this morning!! The doctor did not tell me about these. He did however tell me that he put one or two staples around the eye to make sure they stayed. My big question here is - if the job was done correctly, why would he need to add these staples here & there and why with the blue stitches? I am very disappointed and I am taking Jackson back in tomorrow for his follow up - but does anyone have any advice or comforting words. This is so frustrating, I feel like this doctor has just done a shoddy job just to make more money in the long run. If it was a confident doctor who knew what he was doing - I feel like he would not have been scared to take skin and do it correctly the first time - am I wrong for thinking this? I just feel so bad for my pup. :*(:confused:
Jackson tired.jpgDay of the surgery, he fell asleep like this.
Jackson upclose eye.jpgDay of the surgery
Jackson at work.jpgLooking good a few days after the surgery.

As of this morning - it doesn't look like Jackson had ANY skin taken away at the time of the surgery. Like 2 or 3 millimeters at the most!

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry you are having a time of this. If you don't like the surgeon, then I'd get a second opinion. He should correct this without charging you. We adopted a girl that needed entropion surgery and it took a few operations to get hers right but he didn't charge us each time. He should have told you the stitches were there and what to expect. I'd give him a call and ask questions.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
oh I feel so bad.. but I have to tell you Duke had entropian surgery on both eyes as well due to ulcers and his eyes were not completely healed for about 4 weeks. He had 114 stiches in his eyes and I would just cry when I looked at him .. it does take time..

in reference to the staples etc I would just ask alot of questions when you go tomorrow. Duke also had staples as well..

Looking back now I remember for three weeks my husband and I slept in seperate beds.. I slept with Duke with the big cone in my bed and hubby in the middle room.

Hang in there.. maybe just maybe it just not healed yet..
:pray2:

OP
Isabel and Jackson

Isabel and Jackson

Jul 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson and Izzy
Thanks everyone for the comments - his eyes aren't looking as bad as they did two days ago but when we take him in today, we will see what the doctor says & we will be asking lots of questions! [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad they are looking better, let us know what the doc says.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Peggy had her eyes done last year around August. Her eyes seemed fine to me, but the vets said she needed it done , they explained why so I agreed. They said she making too many tears and it could cause an ulcer.
I wish we wouldn't of had it done. Ever since the surgery, she has dry eye. She can't make any tears. WTH? not a happy camper, now I have to treat her at least twice a day everyday forever. the poor girls eyes paste shut overnight, and pasted with green crust when I get home from work. I spend a small fortune on eye lube meds between her and Griz

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks everyone for the comments - his eyes aren't looking as bad as they did two days ago but when we take him in today, we will see what the doctor says & we will be asking lots of questions! [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]

Any news?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
Isabel and Jackson

Isabel and Jackson

Jul 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson and Izzy
Update:

When the stitches came out, Jackson looked wonderful, he was opening both eyes and was still a little irritated in his left eye, but the Opthalmologist gave me Prednisone to help with inflammation which I know could just be covering up something else but, it seemed to work for a bit. He said that he overcorrected the entropion and that the swelling in the left eye was not due to entropion but possibly allergies or something unknown to him. He said he would keep phone contact with me as well as have my regular Veterinarian check in with me periodically, which I love because I love our Veterinarian.

I'm taking him in this afternoon to my regular Veterinarian. His right eye looks wonderful but his left eye is still swollen and he is now clenching it shut I feel so bad for him, so it's time to see the doc. He seems very uncomfortable in his eye and he's constantly doing this crazy face dive into the carpet or furniture.

We will see what the doc says today! I'll keep you all updated

Thanks everyone

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I hope it is better news ... maybe it is allergies .. they seem so very very bad this year!!! :down:

OP
Isabel and Jackson

Isabel and Jackson

Jul 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson and Izzy
So my veterinarian and I found that Jackson had in fact a superficial ulcer in his left eye, which is why he was clenching his eyes shut, thus causing spastic entropion. He gave me two ointments to treat the ulcers and to check back with him tomorrow on how Jackson is doing. If it doesn't look better by tomorrow, my Opthalmologist wants me to bring Jackson to him... Treating this and treating that but not figuring out what to do to prevent it from happening is what is going on here and it is a big disappointment for me. I understand that before they can figure out what's going on, we have to treat his ulcers and take care of him... But it's already happened before and I feel like we are going in circles with this whole process of treating him...

At least if it doesn't benefit me, this will be a lesson for anyone going through this.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.