Cherry eye?

Dove7

Apr 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
His Royal Thickness Sir Buddy 'Harely' & Eva (RIP)
Hi all! I tried to scroll trough some of the threads before posting my question, but after the 3rd page without an answer to my question, I decided I'd just go ahead and do it. :) My pup, His Royal Thickness, Sir Buddy 'Harley', is almost 8 months old, happy, healthy, and growing... But today I notice that a portion of his left eye gland was swollen and outside of the eyelid. After about 30 minutes, it was back to normal. I know cherry eye is a common issue with bulldogs, but is this indeed cherry eye? Could it be allergies? How can I know for sure? If it is, how do I fix it? Can it be maintained without surgery? Your help is greatly appreciated!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes cherry eyes can pop in and out, sometimes when they are stressed or playing really hard they can come out, as long as it goes away all should be fine. Sometimes allergies can cause them to come out too.

It does signify the muscle could be weak, so it could come out permanently. Usually it's just a cosmetic issue so surgery is not too outrageous, $500 or less.

Don't fret about ever posting anything, we love to help!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I copied and pasted this from another person I gave advice to, hope it helps
hi , I also have a female named Blossom who developed Cherry eye at the same age (5 months) , at first I was able to massage it back in, but by the time I had her spayed at 7 months, it was no longer staying in, and was getting bigger from swelling due to being exposed to the air. I had her eye repaired at the same time as her spay surgery when she was 7 months old. unfortunately a week later the other eye poppped out as well, and pretty big right from the beginning, it wouldn't massage back in at all, and so a month later she had a second surgery to fix the eye. Our vet does not remove the tear gland, and has been doing this surgery for over 20 years, and she has her own technique that she has perfected and told us she has a 85 to 90 % success rate for the eye not to pop out again. we are very happy with the job she did, and Blossoms eyes are beautiful. We had no problems post surgery, and its been 3 months since the surgeries, and no problems. I'm so sorry you and Sophie are going through this , and having such a tough time. I am not familiar with the other method of removing the gland, but there are other members who have had it removed with no problems, and others who have had problems with dry eye, I think they can develop dry eye with either method, and there really isn't any right or wrong way to repair the eye. There are risks with both, but the tacking in of the gland with sutures has more risk of recurring cherry eye, than removing the gland altogether. i think you just have to do your research, that's what I did, and ask lots of questions, then talk to your vet, and see which method he has done more and which one he recommends and why, and them make your decision based on what you are comfortable with. In your case since the first surgery was not succesful, and they have already cut a pocket in her eye, i would be wondering if another surgery with sutures might irritate her eye and cause her more problems, and for the price $1800 and no guarantee, i would be leery of doing it again, a better option for you may be to remove the gland altogether to save her having more surgeries, and risking irritation to her eyes, and future problems down the road. If you have it removed, you wouldn't have to worry about it not working, and having to do further surgeries. you may have to give drops after , but I would rather do that than have her go through more. It is something you have to discuss and think about, and then make a decision with your vet. I hope everythng works out for you and you find a way to fix her eyes. sending love , hugs and prayers your way, for a solution, and a speedy recovery. Keep us posted on what you decide , and how she is doing.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I think it is important to see your vet to find out what is going on. Cherry eye can come on quickly. I have never heard if it going back to normal unless it is popped back in which occasionally works but I am not a vet. Cherry eye is common in Bullies and especially Cocker Spaniels. Miss Talluah had a problem with her eye becomimg swollen and red and it was not cherry eye, but baby Buster had cherry eye develop literally over 12 hours and within 3 days was in for surgery. Both Bullies were checked with dyes and Miss T was checked for dry eye - she is good. Antibiotics cleared up her eye and she has been fine since. It was probably a scratch from running through the brush Buster is recovering nicely. If there is no discharge you might be ok but if it were me i would still go in and have a consult. Eyes are too important to take any chances with. I would wonder why only one eye if it were allergies. But again I am not an expert.

OP
D

Dove7

Apr 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
His Royal Thickness Sir Buddy 'Harely' & Eva (RIP)
Thank you all for the advice. Since it looks fine now, I may just make a phone consult with the vet and see if he recommends I take him in to check it out. But I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it. Thanks again!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.