Help Needed! Bacterial Infection and "Crystals"

sherden24

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gumbo
The other day, Gumbo started pottying on her bed and when sitting, had some urine leaking out. I went to clean it up and there was a trace of blood. I took her to the dr and they gave her 2 weeks of antibiotics. Today, the vet called and said that she definitely has a bacterial infection and was developing crystals. I am assuming that it is struvite stones? She wanted me to do the medicine, a special canned dog food for one month and then bring her back and lets get another urine test in a month. I am not sure what the diet is or why I'm having to change it. I give her Fromm's Beef Fritta for dry food and I cook for her for her daily food. (Hamburger meat, brown rice, oats, green beans and eggs cooked in beef broth). I got to looking at stuff online and it said that she maybe should not be on a different diet and I should find a new vet. I have not been dis-pleased about the care she has gotten here. They are honestly one of the oldest and best vets here. I also asked about her skin and she said that she was not sure about if it would get worse but we needed to at least try this. I am unsure why the antibiotics would not just clear it up. I'm overwhelmed and worried about my sweet baby.

OP
sherden24

sherden24

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gumbo
Updated info: I called the vet and explained to her Gumbo's food situation and that I was VERY hesitant to change her diet. We are going to do a pill to bring up the acid to dissolve the crystal and then retest her in a month. I am also going to start her on a cranberry supplement along with the yogurt that she gets daily.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Oh gosh, it's been soooo long since I've been in here (work, technology....you know the excuses!!!)but I wanted to chime in since we've been through this. same symptoms (blood), same treatment (antibiotics, canned food)... The journey was long!

Ask around and do some research. It's possible that protein levels, not the food quality, is influencing urine PH and causing crystals. Or, the crystals could be there as a result of the infection. Either way, the food change is partially an attempt to get more water in her and disolve those, and you're right...it's yucky food with added sodium to make them drink more.

We had some anatomical issues that caused urine to "pool" inside, and even with prescription food Lupe's infections became chronic, which can be painful if not deadly. Once we fixed that surgically, the crystal situation dropped and we moved to better food.

Vet said this was not a breed thing, just a dog thing. BUT I suspect our babies are a little more susceptible b/c they have physical obstacles to cleaning themselves. Even tho Lupe is infection-free, I still clean her lady parts every night with a quick wipe down of witch hazel. We also add water to her food, fresh veggies, and offer clean water in multiple spots throughout our house. I can't remember why exactly but our vet cautioned against cranberry b/c maybe it might throw her PH even more out of whack? This was several years ago.

So good you're on this so quickly! Good luck!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Bacterial infection the same as a urinary tract infection? I'm sure the treatment and symptoms are close, please view this article: UTI

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Re: Bacterial Infection and "Crystals"

Has the lab tested the crystals? I would not chance her foor before the cystals have been tested and the type diagnosed. Even though her UTI and high uriine pH suggestes that the crystals are struvites they still might not. And giving her prescription food for those could make it worse. Bulldogs can have the same genetic defect as most Dalmatians and that makes them suspectible to develope urate stones. And I know that because my bully has that defect and we found out the hard way. When he had the stones he also had UTI and his urine pH was 9. Urates develope in acidic urine though. So if we would of just given him that food it would of maken it worse.
In very rare cases is prescreption food really nesessary. They can lead to many other problems. It also is rally not the quantity of the protein that matters it's the quality.

- - - Updated - - -

Has the lab tested the crystals? I would not chance her foor before the cystals have been tested and the type diagnosed. Even though her UTI and high uriine pH suggestes that the crystals are struvites they still might not. And giving her prescription food for those could make it worse. Bulldogs can have the same genetic defect as most Dalmatians and that makes them suspectible to develope urate stones. And I know that because my bully has that defect and we found out the hard way. When he had the stones he also had UTI and his urine pH was 9. Urates develope in acidic urine though. So if we would of just given him that food it would of maken it worse.
In very rare cases is prescreption food really nesessary. They can lead to many other problems. It also is rally not the quantity of the protein that matters it's the quality.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.