Signs of Entropion

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
When I took Otis to the vet for the first time, I asked her to check out his eye since it was cloudy looking. She gave him drops, without any success. 2 weeks later she gave him new drops (Tobradex) and stained his eye to determine if he had any scratches, which he doesn't. The tobradex is clearing up his eye a bit but the vet has now suggested that he needs entropic surgery.

Could the cloudiness be the only sign he's getting? His eyes were boogery, but since I've changed his food that's no longer a problem. He doesn't scratch them, there's no swelling, and they're not red.

He does have tear stains though (I'm assuming that's what they are anyway, dark circles under his eye), he's had them since I brought him home, but I'm cleaning them using that apple cider/desitin mix that someone posted (just started yesterday).

Thank you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Did they do a tear production test to make sure there is not dry eye?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
the tear production test is when they take a litmust test paper and insert into the eye to see how many tears are being produced. If it's low then it's dry eye and they will either prescribe cyclosporine drops to help or you can use OTC eye lubricant (I use those when Goldie runs out of the cyclosporine). It helps keep the eye moistened and usually you have to administer the drops 2-3 times a day

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi ! My opinion would be to take him for a second opinion to a vet opthamologist.
Duke had entropian in both eyes.. but I never noticed cloudy eyes? he would develop ulcers.. ( its caused by the lower eye lashes growing in ward. ) Duke would constantly be batting his eyes and they bothered him. It sounds maybe like dry eye?

I would not have the surgery done without consulting an opthamologist to be sure.

And tear stains are pretty common in alot of bullies..

Good Luck!
:)
Karen

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nope, what is that? And what can I do to help him?

They stick a papered gauge in the eye to see how many tears are being produced. Since they did not do this test I would not jump the gun on entropion surgery!

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Thanks everyone!

I'll definitely make an appointment with an optometrist to see what the problem really is.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone!

I'll definitely make an appointment with an optometrist to see what the problem really is.

Please let us know!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online