Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[h=3]English bulldog health issues[/h]

All breeds of dogs have conditions that are common to their particular breed, and the bulldog is no different.

Many conditions are in direct relation to the characteristics considered desirable in the breed. If you are adopting an older dog, many of these conditions should already have been identified.

Around the clock care by a qualified veterinarian needs to be available. Since not all veterinarians are knowledgeable about the health problems Bulldogs may have, find a veterinarian who knows and likes Bulldogs. This is one of the reasons it is a good idea to join a local Bulldog Club. The members can usually refer you to a veterinarian who is familiar with Bulldogs and who likes them. Some veterinarians donā€™t like Bulldogs, and no matter how good a veterinarian is, heā€™s not right for your Bulldog. Any veterinarian who will be doing surgery on your Bulldog should have previous experience with putting Bulldogs under anesthesia. This is of great importance.

Heat Sensitivity

Bulldogs are extremely intolerant of heat. Good ventilation and air conditioning are essential with this breed. Wire crates are best for air circulation. Your Bulldog must be kept in an air-conditioned area with limited trips outside when the outside temperature is over 80 degrees or the humidity is high. Close supervision is required during outside activity, especially in spring and summer to prevent over-exertion leading to over-heating. Dogs do not have sweat glands all over their bodies. They can sweat only through their pads and they can dissipate heat effectively through panting. Bulldogs suffering from chronic airway obstruction cannot pant freely and that is why they often die of overheating (hyperthermia). Corrective surgery performed in time can prevent a lot of faintings and unexpected deaths at summer dog shows and at home alike. They also are not usually capable of prolonged physical activity whether the temperature is very warm or cold: a Bulldog is not for someone who enjoys taking a dog for long walks through the countryside.

Listed are some health concerns for your Bulldog, note that these diseases and conditions do not pertain only to the Bulldog.

[h=4]ENGLISH BULLDOG HEALTH ISSUES AND INFORMATION[/h]
Entropion
An abnormal rolling in of the eyelid see corneal ulcers. stitch skin so lashes donā€™t rub.

Eversion of nictitating membrane:
(Cherry Eye) A condition where the third eyelid is protruding.

Cataract
A change in structure of the lens of the eye leading to cloudiness and usually to blindness.

Keratitis sicca/ Keratoconjunctivitis sicca
A condition where one or both eyes do not produce a normal amount or type of tears. ā€œDry Eyeā€. Can lead to corneal ulcers and cherry eyes if untreated.

Persistent pupillary membrane
A developmental abnormality where the membrane forming the iris does not form properly.

Skin Acne
Same thing as in humans, affects the muzzle and lip areas.

Demodicosis
A kind of skin disease (mange) caused by microscopic Demodex canis mites living within the skin layers and producing an immunodeficiency syndrome.

Fold dermatitis
An inflammation of skin folds especially in dogs with loose skin. Bulldogs are especially susceptible in the face and tail areas.

Folliculitis
An infection of the hair follicles.

Muzzle pyoderma
An infectious skin disease on the muzzle of an animal.

Pododermatitis
A skin infection of the paws.

Elbow dysplasia
An abnormal development of the elbow joint.

Elbow Subluxation
A condition where the elbow joint is loose and out of alignment.

Fragmented coronoid
Process osteochondrosis of the elbow joint.

Mouth and Jaw Abnormal Dentition
Abnormal placement, number and development of teeth.

Cleft lip
A condition where the two halves of the upper lip do not join together. Cleft palate and cleft lip are often seen together.

Cleft palate
A condition where the roof of the mouth is not closed and the inside of the nose opens into the mouth.

Elongated soft palate
The soft palate is abnormally long and causes breathing disorders.

Skeletal System Parosteitis
Inflammation of tissue around a bone.

Short skull
A skull that is abnormally short for the breed in question.

Short tail
A tail that is abnormally short for the breed in question. Read more about this.

Hip dysplasia
A developmental malformation or subluxation of the hip joints. Causes movement to be painful in its most severe form.

Spina bifida
A developmental abnormality where some vertebra are malformed thereby exposing the spinal cord.

Hemivertebra
A particular kind of malformation of the vertebra where only half of the structure is formed. Very short-coupled dogs with little or no tail or neck may have this diagnosis. No Known Treatment Dog with severe form of this condition can be paralysed if a jarring back injury occurs. Care re: exercise, activity needs to be taken.
Reproductive Vaginal Hyperplasia:
An overgrowth of tissues of the vagina (polyps)

Dystocia:
Complications of the birth process (difficult birth) 95% of births are c-sections.

Respiratory Stenotic Nares:
Narrow nasal opening, characteristic of BU-AS Can be clipped to widen.

Hypoplasia of Trachea:
A trachea that fails to develop fully.

Ciculatory Arteriovenous fistula:
An abnormal connection that forms between arteries and veins.

Von Willebrandā€™s disease:
A type of bleeding disorder caused by defective blood platelet function.

Mitral valve defects:
A group of abnormalities of the mitral valve of the heart.

Pulmonic stenosis:
A condition where one of the valves of the heart does not open properly.

Pyloric Stenosis
A condition where the opening leading from the stomach does not function properly.

Miscellaneous Hypothyroidism
A common endocrine disease where the body produces an abnormally low amount of thyroid hormones. An autoimmune destruction of the thyroid gland. Can be managed by injections.

Hydrocephalus
A condition where there is an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the ventricles of the brain.

Oligodendroglioma
A cancer arising from a type of cell found in the brain and spinal cord.

Brachycephalic Upper-Airway Syndrome
A grouping of conditions leading to decreased tolerance to exercise/excitement/high temps; difficulty breathing; susceptibility to collapse.Chronic Airway Obstruction (C.A.O.): is very common in all short-faced (Brach cephalic) breeds e.g. Bulldog, French Bulldog, Pug and occasionally seen in other breeds.
Bulldog Wrinkles
The Bulldogā€™s face is covered with wrinkles. This is a trademark that requires daily care to keep him comfortable and healthy. Mild soap will work for cleaning out between the wrinkles. Get a damp wash cloth with soap and clean well around and under the wrinkles making sure not to get any in his eyes? You should dry the area well and apply gold bond (or similar) powder to the area. If it is irritated you may want to consider using Desitin cream. It may be required for you to clean the wrinkles up to 2x daily if needed depending on how dirty or irritated they may be.
Cleaning the Tail Area
It is very much a part of bulldog hygiene. When cleaning the tail area or tail pocket make sure to use a soft cloth and get in there real good to clean it, you should get out lots of hairs and keep this area clean and powdered as well. A bulldogā€™s tail may be tightly screwed against his back side and can be a real problem if not taken care of and cleaned daily. A severely infected tail is painful and may need to be removed in some cases, so it is important to keep this area cleaned well.
Tear Stains
There are a few products on the market that are made for cleaning tear stains. You can use these products, but take care in using it near his eyes. You can also check with your vet for additional suggestions. You should also keep the area around your dogs eyes wiped off and cleaned, to keep any debris from getting into his eyes and irritating them.
Dry Nose
If his nose is dry a light coat of Vaseline will help soften it and protect it from cracking.( I put almond oil on my dogs and nose every day and keeps this from happening)
[h=3]The Key to a good Bulldog Health[/h]The best advice is to know your Bulldog. Know if he isnā€™t eating, if he isnā€™t playing, or if he doesnā€™t seem quite right. There are some minor ailments you can treat at home. Remember that if a home remedy doesnā€™t cure the problem in less than two days; take the dog to the veterinarian. Also remember that there are medical conditions which cannot wait. When in doubt, take him to your vet. Better to be safe than sorry.In order for dogs to live happy, productive, and long lives their owners need to be aware of the everyday health requirements as well as be on the look out for any sudden physical changes. The keys to Bulldog health are moderate exercise, good ventilation, and cool temperatures. Grooming is minimal, but the skin wrinkles on the head and around the tail must be kept clean to avoid bacterial or fungal infections. Nutrition plays an important part in the development of a puppy into adulthood. Care must be taken to be sure that your Bulldogs are fed proper nutrition to meet their developmental needs at the various stages of their lives. Nutrition encompasses the proper diet combined with vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that will help dogs fulfill their life span.Bulldogs are generally a healthy breed, with much dependant upon the breeder from whom they came. A good start will usually give you years of fun and love. A Bulldog should see a vet for shots and checkups regularly. You should also consider spaying or neutering your pet since there are health advantages to that as well.
Breeding Bulldogs
Breeding is not a good choice for the average family pet. Breeding is very difficult and expensive with the bulldog. Itā€™s best left to those who have devoted a lifetime to the breed and know what to do and how to do it. Breeding will not improve the health or happiness of a dog and in some cases breeding is fatal. Caesarian deliveries are needed.
Life Expectancy
The average life for a Bulldog is around 10 or so although there are many who live years beyond that.

Bulldogs And Water
A Bulldog needs to be an indoor dog. Bulldogs canā€™t swim well at all and extreme caution should be taken when a Bulldog is around water to avoid drowning. Although they should be kept out of deep pools, a few inches of water in a kidā€™s pool outside is a welcome site to most Bulldogs.
Bulldogs and Exercise
The Bulldog appreciates a daily outing but cannot tolerate hot, humid weather. He should not be expected to jog or walk great distances, or to jump from any height. Bulldogs should not romp with the kids during the heat of a warm spring or summer day. When temperatures reach the 80s, the dogs should have an air-conditioned area. In addition, if the dog pants too violently or for a prolonged period, the membranes in the throat can dry out and swell, leading to escalating breathing difficulties.[h=5]Summary on English bulldog health issues[/h]The Bulldog is a quiet pet, loyal to his family and protective when necessary, but happy to curl up on the sofa, eat two or three square meals a day, and have his belly rubbed occasionally. He can be a clown and can be stubborn to train, but he is good-natured and willing to be guided to good behavior if he thinks itā€™s his own idea.
All breeds have health issues, and English bulldogs health issues are just like any other dog breed out there, some bloodlines have more than others, it all depends on each breeder how they are making their choices, if you want good healthy English bulldog bloodlines you have to breed bulldogs with no English bulldog health issues at all, Lets say for example if your breed bulldogs with ingrown tails, you are more than likely have some of the puppies in the litter with this kind of English bulldog health issues, if you breed an English bulldog dog with allergies some of the puppies will come out wit allergies, if you breed dogs with breathing problems you will more than likely have some English buldogs in the litter with the English bulldog health issues as the parents had.And let me QUOTE and repeat this, Breeding a bulldog with English bulldogs health issues does not mean all of them are going to have health issues it all depends on each and every single puppy in the litter some lines will go one way some will go others, that is up to God you guys not us English bulldog breeders.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

WELL said~ Especially the poke to breeders to be responsible, honest and ethical.

Good Day~

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Excellent post!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:2thumbs:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
This is brilliant!!! :bravo::bravo:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Excellent information and well written, Sherry. Much love, Carol

g man

Oct 14, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
xena,tank
I bought my male bully 3 days ago I took him for puppy well check and my vet said he will have skin disorders genetically his whole life and pass to his offspring and suggest returning him to breeder well I cant get a response from breeder so does anyone have any suggestions

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I bought my male bully 3 days ago I took him for puppy well check and my vet said he will have skin disorders genetically his whole life and pass to his offspring and suggest returning him to breeder well I cant get a response from breeder so does anyone have any suggestions

You say he will pass the gene on to his offspring. Did you purchase your bully for breeding? I don't mean to sound harsh by any means but it sounds like you may not have enough experience to breed EB. If your vet is able to judge that the puppy will have skin disorders at this stage it kind of shows that you did not do you research before selecting your pup or know enough about the breed.

The breeder we got our EB was new to breeding EBs and probably won't breed again (the wife was 9 mth pregnant with their first child and they couldn't handle another litter for a long time) but they had the guidance from a very experienced EB breeder who we found them through.

With all that said, most people who do get EBs know the breed is pre-disposed to skin issues and realize that this won't be a dog who will be easily maintained. They are very expensive to keep and make sure they dont develop skin problems. This comes with the territory.

My suggestion, if you want to keep the pup, get him neutered and love him. Feed him a good quality food (most people here feed their bully's froom. I feed mine buffalo blue wilderness), keep his skin clean and dry.

If your only purpose with the pup was it to be a stud you should probably look into a breed you know about or better yet don't breed at all. Backyard breeders are a dime a dozen and unfortunately we do end up with really poorly bred dogs with a lot of health issues in Shelters and rescues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.