Help Needed! Forde had a small amount of blood on his tail

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
Hi....I cleaned Forde's tail pocket yesterday.....same as always.....nothing really bad there, a small amount of hair and a little yucky smell......he was just walking by me and I notice a wee bit of blood on his tail......I investigate and notice that around one side of his tail pocket it looks a little pink and puffy.....any ideas what could cause this....maybe I irritated it? I wiped his tail clean with witch hazel.....cleaned the pinkish looking area and left it...but worried if it will be okay... there is however a slight bad smell coming from there and it looks to be a bit swollen....it doesn't seem to bother him at all when I touch it , he's eating and acting fine....:confused:

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I don't think you caused it, no. He's probably got something in there, probably clean it a bit more often now until it clears up.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hi....I cleaned Forde's tail pocket yesterday.....same as always.....nothing really bad there, a small amount of hair and a little yucky smell......he was just walking by me and I notice a wee bit of blood on his tail......I investigate and notice that around one side of his tail pocket it looks a little pink and puffy.....any ideas what could cause this....maybe I irritated it? I wiped his tail clean with witch hazel.....cleaned the pinkish looking area and left it...but worried if it will be okay... there is however a slight bad smell coming from there and it looks to be a bit swollen....it doesn't seem to bother him at all when I touch it , he's eating and acting fine....:confused:

get deep down in there, as far as your finger will go, this is how you know how deep the pocket actually is. After you find the bottom of it, you will be able to clean it more properly

OP
FORDE'SMOM

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
ok....it made me feel so bad...i felt like maybe i irritated it by cleaning it and that was the cause for the blood....thanks for the info and will clean again in the morning :pray2:

ps...how often should this area be cleaned?

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
once it's under control you should just have to check it every other day. until it's all good check it once or twice a day. and I use Desetin on my finger to swipe it. That stuff fixes lots of things. tear stains, tail pockets and nose ropes. If it get's pink or sore, Desetin it :2thumbs:

oh, and don't beat yourself up :smoochwink: it happens

OP
FORDE'SMOM

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
I use desitin on him...just didn't think to use it there....thanks for the great idea :whew:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@Sherry how long should it take to clear up?

about a week, but that's a area I maintain by occasionally applying a dab of Desetin. Some guys are just sticky and icky back there. comes with the territory. Out of all the breeds, I believe bulldogs to be the most high maintenence . with the webbed feet, rolls, tails and ropes and not to mention tear stains. by the time your bully is an adult (2-1/2 yrs.) you will really will have it down pat. make sure to check every nook and cranny, just like an infant female child. get to know every inch of your bully. :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.