Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
our boy, Henry, has quite a tight tail and we clean it quite regular as well.... he suffers from yeast issues now and then so we use malecetic wipes to clean the tail pocket as they have a drying agent. Baby wipes don't s we try and use those only on spots that we can ensure we can dry out. Witch Hazel really helps out too. For powder, we use cornstarch. We asked the vet for a little bottle that looks like an ear drop bottle. We can squeeze and spray the powder quite precisely with that little bottle. We find that he can go for a couple of days before we need to do it again but during a yeast flare up we will clean it twice a day. Now and again when it gets really inflamed we use a cream called Viaderm KC. It is a steroid cream so we use it sparingly and only when needed,

Hope this helps!! Best of luck

I'm not sure how true it is, but since cornstarch is a food I heard (via Internet so not sure) that it actually feeds the yeast. Since then I switched to using gold bond medicated powder. Downside is the gold bond booty smell though! But it works good!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you so much everyone for the advice!! I really have hope that a strict cleaning routine will help! The infection is definitely starting to get under control becuase last night he FINALLY let me clean in there with witch hazel without crying or screaming. He actually sat there licking the air! It made me so happy!! Now that I am aware of what has been going on I am going to be watching very carefully!! The vet seemed to think we could keep it under control once the infection itself was cleared, I was wiping his booty everytime he came in but I guess I was not going deep enough. This has all been an eye opener for me and I never want to see him suffer like that again. :nope:

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
This is what I would use because they are gentler than the malecetic wipes. Douxo-Chlohexidine 3% pads http://www.amazon.com/Douxo-Chlorhe...TF8&qid=1366847086&sr=8-1&keywords=Duoxo+pads They will deal with yeast and bacteria. Dry the area off and then put Gold Bond Medicated Powder on the area to keep it dry. What ever you decide to clean with you need to clean every day. Yeast grows in warm, damp areas and it can grow quickly.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks everyone! And I agree with @Lori Thomas Vegas does have a very cute booty! We are making progress Winston came in from outside today and I went to wipe his bum he grabbed the whole package of baby wipes and was swatting at them and chasing them down the hallway. He definitely is getting his energy back which I can only assume means he is starting to feel better!!! :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone! And I agree with @Lori Thomas Vegas does have a very cute booty! We are making progress Winston came in from outside today and I went to wipe his bum he grabbed the whole package of baby wipes and was swatting at them and chasing them down the hallway. He definitely is getting his energy back which I can only assume means he is starting to feel better!!! :D

Love happy, healthy playful bully baby!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm happy to hear that he is starting to feel better. I never knew how much of a problem that tail pockets could be until this happened.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I'm happy to hear that he is starting to feel better. I never knew how much of a problem that tail pockets could be until this happened.

Me either! Winston is our first bully so this has been quite the learning experience. All I have to say is thank goodness for this site, it has saved me so many times!!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Update: Just wanted to let you guys know Winston went to the vet for a recheck on Saturday and she said he is looking MUCH better and that if we keep this up he will not need surgery!! :excited: *Happy Dance* Just wanted to thank you guys for all of the help and advice! I don't know what I would do without this site! :heart:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Update: Just wanted to let you guys know Winston went to the vet for a recheck on Saturday and she said he is looking MUCH better and that if we keep this up he will not need surgery!! :excited: *Happy Dance* Just wanted to thank you guys for all of the help and advice! I don't know what I would do without this site! :heart:

That is fantastic!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

That is great news!! So happy for Winston! :sunny::sunny::sunny:

Most Reactions