Help Needed! Crazy Sneezing! A cold or allergies?

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
So Ulysses started sneezing relentlessly about 2 days ago. My hubby has been doing the same for about 2 weeks, with every blooming plant in the state. For a minute there I thought they were just competing each other with the crazy sneezing, but Ulysses seems to be getting worse. Apart from the sneezing which has come down a bit, he has began making that strange sound like a little horse, don't know how to explain it, but it sounds like a lot of phlegm. He also woke up this morning sounding absolutely stuck in his chest. Is it a cold... allergies?? I know is not kennel cough cause he's got it a couple times and this is completely different, I have no experience with this. :nope: Should I take him in?? (Would like to post a video, but haven't been able to figure out how :( )

Last edited:

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Best guess is allergies, given the time of year. You can give him benedryl @ 1 mg per pound of dog. A pink pill has 25 mgs in it. Keep in mind that just like in humans, even allergies can morph into ear infections, bronchitis or pneumonia if conjgested long enough.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with [MENTION=6176]linwhite[/MENTION], sounds like allergies, and hope the Benedryl helps, if not a trip to the vet may be in order, as it could be an upper respiratory infection.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agreed..... sounds like allergies to me too

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Thank you guys! I'll be taking him to the vet tomorrow, He seems to be a bit better, at least the sneezing is almost completely gone, but he has a chest full, my baby sounds so congested. We'll see what the vet says.

lovemydog

Apr 16, 2013
Wichita, KS
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus (2011-2013), Orrla (2009-2020), Dugall
I also use air clearing system at home to capture allergens, 24 hours non-stop. It has UV-C light to kill common germs and bacteria, and airborne mold spores. It helps Angue and me both.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Was wondering what the vet said. I have 2 air cleaners in my home to ones I purchased online

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'm thinking I may need to get one of these also. Any suggestions? I'm willing to spend the money for a GOOD unit that genuinely works.
[MENTION=4663]Maife[/MENTION] - I took my 20 lb Himilayan cat to the vet last week because "he just wasn't himself". The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him and talked me out of the expensive tests and blood work we could have done in trying to figure it out. He was listless, staying inside on my bed, sleeping all the time, his eyes weren't "right" to me and yes, he did sneeze a couple times. I'm thinking now -- in retrospect -- maybe allergies was his problem? He started looking a bit better a couple days ago and yesterday, he even went roaming the neighborhood, completing is normal route on his "Kitty Outreach" program. (That's another story) Poor Bo's tummy is a sea of bumps (grass is his principle problem) and for the first time ever I gave him benedryl with breakfast today. (He usually only gets it at dinner time) I'm also giving it to Bea this morning. Her eyes are watery and she's been acting like Sushi. This allergy season is maddening!

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Allergies are driving everyone mad these days!! My hubby and Ulysses are the most affected ones around here. I took Ulysses to the vet and she was almost completely sure that it was a mild strain of kennel cough that is going around here, with non to very mild cough, but with all the other symptoms. She did say it could also be a little allergy to something blooming, but she told me that she has seen a couple other pups with similar symptoms the last weeks, so we should wait and see for the moment since he was drinking, eating and acting normally. Well, we did that, and this morning he woke up vomiting his little guts out. So good it was before we went out, so he could throw all that phlegm out. It took him like 10min: cough, vomit, sneeze, cough.... right after that his nose, and chest cleared almost completely. Now he seems almost completely fine. A little sneezing from time to time but almost completely recovered. I'm thinking it was the drops of lemon and a little of honey I have been putting in his water. I didn't want to do nothing and since he seems to not be bothered by it, I thought it might help his little sore throat, and it apparently did, it at least helped him to take all the bad stuff out. Thank goodness! :)
So I'm thinking he still might have a little allergy cause of the sudden sneezing and all, so I am really considering buying one of those machines, a GOOD one like [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] says, I'm doing some research right now :)

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] This is gonna be a longer process.. there is just so many, and they clean the air in so many different ways :S .... haven't found anything that convinces me 100%

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.