Hershey's scheduled for Knee Surgery May 1st

bodebull

Mar 27, 2013
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Bode
Poor Hershey, We feel your pain!! Bode has gone 2 weeks so far after TPLO and going back to surgeon today for checkup. Best of Luck to you guys!!!

MarleneK

Dec 21, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dually
Yep, on both knees!

How did your bully do after both surgeries and how is your bully now? Dually had TPLO surgery in July 2013 and now we have to do the other knee this May 2014. Did you follow up with hydro therapy or anything like that? What about vitamins or supplements to help with arthritis as they age? Sorry for all the questions I'm just shocked that we have to go through this all over again I feel like a bad parent :(.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
How did your bully do after both surgeries and how is your bully now? Dually had TPLO surgery in July 2013 and now we have to do the other knee this May 2014. Did you follow up with hydro therapy or anything like that? What about vitamins or supplements to help with arthritis as they age? Sorry for all the questions I'm just shocked that we have to go through this all over again I feel like a bad parent :(.

Ugh, I know what you are going through but IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT! Did your vet not tell you that after one knee blows, there is an 88% chance the other knee ligament will also rupture? So, unfortunately, it was pretty much bound to happen and, in no way, something you did.

The good news is that our bully had one leg done at 10 months and another at 20 months - and enjoyed very good mobility throughout his life. I guess the sad thing (sorry to even mention this!) is that bullies do not typically live to 12 or 14 years so the joints don't have a big chance of getting too old, so it wasn't a huge problem for us. We had Bentley on an anti-inflammatory (Rimadyl) when he'd get "creaky" but otherwise, he did not take any medication. He ran and played and walked around like any other bully and he healed pretty quickly! Once he was up and around, our vet felt the best rehab was walking and other light activities until he was ready to run again.

He is no longer with us but, when he was cremated, I retrieved his TPLO plates and had a necklace made that I cherish...my bionic puppy! :)

Dually will be just fine - just make sure he rests as much as he can after - and give him lots of love from all of us at EBN. Also, if you have any more specific questions, please let me know!

MarleneK

Dec 21, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dually
Ugh, I know what you are going through but IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT! Did your vet not tell you that after one knee blows, there is an 88% chance the other knee ligament will also rupture? So, unfortunately, it was pretty much bound to happen and, in no way, something you did.

The good news is that our bully had one leg done at 10 months and another at 20 months - and enjoyed very good mobility throughout his life. I guess the sad thing (sorry to even mention this!) is that bullies do not typically live to 12 or 14 years so the joints don't have a big chance of getting too old, so it wasn't a huge problem for us. We had Bentley on an anti-inflammatory (Rimadyl) when he'd get "creaky" but otherwise, he did not take any medication. He ran and played and walked around like any other bully and he healed pretty quickly! Once he was up and around, our vet felt the best rehab was walking and other light activities until he was ready to run again.

He is no longer with us but, when he was cremated, I retrieved his TPLO plates and had a necklace made that I cherish...my bionic puppy! :)

Dually will be just fine - just make sure he rests as much as he can after - and give him lots of love from all of us at EBN. Also, if you have any more specific questions, please let me know!

Thank you very much you've been very helpful. Your Bentley looks just like my Dually in this picture where he is running, sounds like he had an awesome full life :). That is a great idea about the TPLO plates :).

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online