General Question slight change in poop color

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Herman is now 1 year old (yeah!) and for the past few months we have been enjoying nice poop since feeding him Earthborn mixed with Fresh Pet Vital. He gets Blue Buffalo Wilderness grain free treats. But yesterday and today I noticed a slight change in the color, it looks a light green or light brownish.

I had to go to to CA for an emergency last week, and a few days before I left, I got him some of the Blue Buffalo banana yogurt puppy biscuits which I stopped giving him last august - so he's had a few of those over the past few weeks (not even half a bag it seems). But the change in color just started yesterday. I don't think those caused the change and that is the only difference in food he's had in months. I have stopped giving those to him just in case.

I also noticed he has been sleeping A LOT lately, which has been going on for a couple of weeks as well. I figure that is just him growing up. Otherwise he's still greedy and nosey as usual.

It's a little warmer out and he goes to the park more but he doesn't eat grass or dirt or anything like that. His allergies may be acting up because mine are. But nothing else has changed.

any ideas? or am i just uber-paranoid again? I have calmed down a lot - it was my new years resolution :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is the poo soft or firm? I tend to think it could be allergies mixed with some stress since Momma was not at home.

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Is the poo soft or firm? I tend to think it could be allergies mixed with some stress since Momma was not at home.

The first poop of the day is usually firm and that hasn't changed either, but then towards the middle of the day it's 1/2 firm and 1/2 mush. So it was kind of striped a few hours ago with firm then mush LOL

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The first poop of the day is usually firm and that hasn't changed either, but then towards the middle of the day it's 1/2 firm and 1/2 mush. So it was kind of striped a few hours ago with firm then mush LOL

Keep an eye on him and do not give any food but his kibble...... it sounds like allergies to me, but to rule food issues stick with just his kibble. Nitshcke was like this when his allergies were bad -- soft serve with strange color variations. Do you give him Benedryl or anything else for the allergies?

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Keep an eye on him and do not give any food but his kibble...... it sounds like allergies to me, but to rule food issues stick with just his kibble. Nitshcke was like this when his allergies were bad -- soft serve with strange color variations. Do you give him Benedryl or anything else for the allergies?

I havent given him anything yet this season, but I do give him Benadryl. I have noticed that he sneezes once we get outside. He actually sneezed every time he went out this past winter too - maybe it was because his nose started running when he got in the cold air. I have been watching his eyes and ears to check that they aren't getting red.

Do you think it might be something in the food he's allergic to or the change of seasons???

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I havent given him anything yet this season, but I do give him Benadryl. I have noticed that he sneezes once we get outside. He actually sneezed every time he went out this past winter too - maybe it was because his nose started running when he got in the cold air. I have been watching his eyes and ears to check that they aren't getting red.

Do you think it might be something in the food he's allergic to or the change of seasons???

To me, it sounds like change of seasons... Nitschke was the same way -- no change to anything but his :poo: (color and form) with some paw licking and sneezing. Banks... since she is white she has a pink face, paw licking, red/raw folds and tail pocket issues are her allergies signs, but her :poo; stays exactly the same.

How old is Herman and what do you feed?

OP
elearn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
To me, it sounds like change of seasons... Nitschke was the same way -- no change to anything but his :poo: (color and form) with some paw licking and sneezing. Banks... since she is white she has a pink face, paw licking, red/raw folds and tail pocket issues are her allergies signs, but her :poo; stays exactly the same.

How old is Herman and what do you feed?

Herman is 1 year old now and he eats Earthborn Primitive Natural.

I'm giving him a little more independence (e.g. letting him sleep out of his crate at night) and today testing out whether he'll let me know when he's ready to go outside instead of just holding it. Usually I take him out around 8:30am - guess what he's STILL SLEEP and its 10:30am. So I'm waiting for him to let me know he's ready to poop so I can check it LOL Wow, the things we do in a day with bulldogs.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm thinking maybe a bit of bad bacteria in the intestine? Maybe try a smidge of yogurt and see if that helps?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online