Thread: Post Brachycephalic surgery- Is this normal?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chester
    Likes (Received)

Default Post Brachycephalic surgery- Is this normal?

Hope there's someone out there who can shed some light on this situation. Last weekend my sweet Chester (2 1/2 yr old English bulldog) went to get groomed and when I picked him up, he was having such a hard time breathing that they rushed him next door to a pet hospital. It took all day for him to calm down and breathe normally (after oxygen, a sedative, and an ice bath). After being referred to an emergency animal surgery center, I was told that he required a trimming of his soft palate. Chester had surgery on Wednesday and was picked up Thursday afternoon. His surgery involved elongated soft palate resection, trim of the nares, and left sacculectomy. Since he has been home, it has been very hard to feed him because he keeps throwing it up, especially after drinking water. I also noticed that he had what appeared to be head tremers. I've heard that these are benign but I'm concerned because afterward he seemed so weak that his front legs were very unsteady. I'm also concerned with the vomiting because I'm not sure how much of the medication he's absorbing.

Any advice or reassurance would be greatly appreciated. He still seems to be snoring, which the doctor said was normal, but he also has a lot of phlem (this is what he seems to throw up).

Thanks

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Post Brachycephalic surgery- Is this normal?

My boy had this surgery done when he was a little over two... we were lucky as he had no ill-effects from it, but he was also in the hospital for two full days (we picked him up on day 3). He came home and was totally himself but we had to give him soft food for about a week.

The vomiting may be because his stomach is empty... if he is the same tomorrow morning I would call the vet and have him examined to make sure evey thing is OK
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Call the vet. This is not normal. The vomiting could disrupt the surgical site.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jennV View Post
    Hope there's someone out there who can shed some light on this situation. Last weekend my sweet Chester (2 1/2 yr old English bulldog) went to get groomed and when I picked him up, he was having such a hard time breathing that they rushed him next door to a pet hospital. It took all day for him to calm down and breathe normally (after oxygen, a sedative, and an ice bath). After being referred to an emergency animal surgery center, I was told that he required a trimming of his soft palate. Chester had surgery on Wednesday and was picked up Thursday afternoon. His surgery involved elongated soft palate resection, trim of the nares, and left sacculectomy. Since he has been home, it has been very hard to feed him because he keeps throwing it up, especially after drinking water. I also noticed that he had what appeared to be head tremers. I've heard that these are benign but I'm concerned because afterward he seemed so weak that his front legs were very unsteady. I'm also concerned with the vomiting because I'm not sure how much of the medication he's absorbing.

Any advice or reassurance would be greatly appreciated. He still seems to be snoring, which the doctor said was normal, but he also has a lot of phlem (this is what he seems to throw up).

Thanks

Welcome to the site JennV. How long have you been going to this groomer, I just don't like the way it sounds. sorry
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I would return to the vet. Given the scope of the surgery and those symptoms, I would fault on the side of caution.

I hope Chester is better soon!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I agree I would be back to the vet with all the symptoms he's having. Healing prayers sent your way

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Any updates on Chester?

Remove Ads