Help Needed! Post Brachycephalic surgery- Is this normal?

jennV

Apr 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Hope there's someone out there who can shed some light on this situation. Last weekend my sweet Chester (2 1/2 yr old English bulldog) went to get groomed and when I picked him up, he was having such a hard time breathing that they rushed him next door to a pet hospital. It took all day for him to calm down and breathe normally (after oxygen, a sedative, and an ice bath). After being referred to an emergency animal surgery center, I was told that he required a trimming of his soft palate. Chester had surgery on Wednesday and was picked up Thursday afternoon. His surgery involved elongated soft palate resection, trim of the nares, and left sacculectomy. Since he has been home, it has been very hard to feed him because he keeps throwing it up, especially after drinking water. I also noticed that he had what appeared to be head tremers. I've heard that these are benign but I'm concerned because afterward he seemed so weak that his front legs were very unsteady. I'm also concerned with the vomiting because I'm not sure how much of the medication he's absorbing.

Any advice or reassurance would be greatly appreciated. He still seems to be snoring, which the doctor said was normal, but he also has a lot of phlem (this is what he seems to throw up).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My boy had this surgery done when he was a little over two... we were lucky as he had no ill-effects from it, but he was also in the hospital for two full days (we picked him up on day 3). He came home and was totally himself but we had to give him soft food for about a week.

The vomiting may be because his stomach is empty... if he is the same tomorrow morning I would call the vet and have him examined to make sure evey thing is OK

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hope there's someone out there who can shed some light on this situation. Last weekend my sweet Chester (2 1/2 yr old English bulldog) went to get groomed and when I picked him up, he was having such a hard time breathing that they rushed him next door to a pet hospital. It took all day for him to calm down and breathe normally (after oxygen, a sedative, and an ice bath). After being referred to an emergency animal surgery center, I was told that he required a trimming of his soft palate. Chester had surgery on Wednesday and was picked up Thursday afternoon. His surgery involved elongated soft palate resection, trim of the nares, and left sacculectomy. Since he has been home, it has been very hard to feed him because he keeps throwing it up, especially after drinking water. I also noticed that he had what appeared to be head tremers. I've heard that these are benign but I'm concerned because afterward he seemed so weak that his front legs were very unsteady. I'm also concerned with the vomiting because I'm not sure how much of the medication he's absorbing.

Any advice or reassurance would be greatly appreciated. He still seems to be snoring, which the doctor said was normal, but he also has a lot of phlem (this is what he seems to throw up).

Welcome to the site JennV. How long have you been going to this groomer, I just don't like the way it sounds. sorry

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I would return to the vet. Given the scope of the surgery and those symptoms, I would fault on the side of caution.

I hope Chester is better soon! :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree I would be back to the vet with all the symptoms he's having. Healing prayers sent your way :pray:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online