cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=8630]babeko[/MENTION], it's never too late to train! so, after Gus gets his physical checkup and the all clear, why not enroll him in a good, basic training class? that will give Gus a solid foundation. It will take a lot of work, the classes are usually just 1 hour but you have to practice what he's learning daily w/Gus. Even 15minutes of practice daily should be sufficient since you don't want to overload him. I hope Gus will be feeling better soon. Please keep us posted!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I really love that [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] brought up thyroid. A friend of mine has a giant Schnauzer where this was the exact problem. This enormous, docile boy suddenly became snippy and disagreeable and just "not himself" -- completely out of the blue. Thyroid meds and he's like his old self. Like you, [MENTION=8630]babeko[/MENTION] , they worried for their grandchildren's safety and, unable to consider rehoming him (thank goodness) Harry was often exiled to a back bedroom because he couldn't be trusted.

I would continue to disagree with the behaviors you don't want (like humping your poor sweet old Pug for sure) but use a water spray bottle to share your disagreement as it is a passive way of sharing displeasure without getting bit. I might also put a drag leash on him so you have instant access to Gus without having to grab his collar.

I am anxious to hear what the vet says. Hang in there. Something's happening with Gus. A guy just doesn't become genuinely aggressive overnight.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes this could be something changed in him like pain or some medical ailment. if you get the all clear at the vet then some behaviour training will be in order. sarah got very aggressive a few months ago to. she has always had issues since the day i got her but they got worse. turns out she had a hernia and breast cancer so im sure she was in a bit of pain. i have taken steps to change this behaviour as it was somewhat present before. she sits before eating now and has a harness and a leash on in the house. i prevent known triggers and my house is much happier now. i so hope you find out what is going on.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with Vicaroo 1000 and Cowsmom comments that something out of the ordinary is going on with Gus, dogs don't just get aggressive or vicious overnight or for no reason, especially the EB breed, it's not in them to be aggressive or mean. I hope and pray the vet can find the reason whether its pain, illness, or some medical reason, and he can treat it. Prayers, love and hugs sent your way that everything is okay. Keep us posted

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You're very welcome, and good luck, I hope the vet can figure it out, and what is wrong with Gus. Keep us posted on what he says

- - - Updated - - -

You're very welcome, and good luck, I hope the vet can figure it out, and what is wrong with Gus. Keep us posted on what he says

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.