Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need insight or Advice

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need insight or Advice

It is kind of a long story. To be honest Gus has ZERO training. I was 8 months pregnant when my husband brought Gus home. He just came home one day and pow we had a 2 month old bullie puppy. I house trained him easy as pie. The rest of the training was to be handled by my husband. Which needless to say never happened. Fast forward to now and I need to grab him to keep him from jumping, running out the door and various other things. I will say that when it is just Gus and me he is perfectly behaved, but throw my dear hubby in the mix and every evening turns into a madhouse! That's the short version...

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

Ok, so training certainly is in order. @Vicaroo1000 Can help with this....oh Vicaroo....wait, she's probably watching Dead Files right now (which is what I should be watching right now, too)

Others will come on to help with the training and I'm sure your vet can help, too.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gus
    Likes (Received)

The no training aside, I still believe Gus has a health issue not a behavioral issue. After reading what Vikinggirl posted Gus has been depressed. He has been sleeping in his crate a ton more than usual. And he has never been aggressive towards us ever before much less lunging, growling and biting. Thyroid could be a definite possibility. He also has the corkscrew tail. The guy we got him from obviously didn't know what he was doing. Makes me so mad that people pass on irresponsibility so casually, especially with a living being involved!

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@babeko, it's never too late to train! so, after Gus gets his physical checkup and the all clear, why not enroll him in a good, basic training class? that will give Gus a solid foundation. It will take a lot of work, the classes are usually just 1 hour but you have to practice what he's learning daily w/Gus. Even 15minutes of practice daily should be sufficient since you don't want to overload him. I hope Gus will be feeling better soon. Please keep us posted!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

I really love that @Vikinggirl brought up thyroid. A friend of mine has a giant Schnauzer where this was the exact problem. This enormous, docile boy suddenly became snippy and disagreeable and just "not himself" -- completely out of the blue. Thyroid meds and he's like his old self. Like you, @babeko , they worried for their grandchildren's safety and, unable to consider rehoming him (thank goodness) Harry was often exiled to a back bedroom because he couldn't be trusted.

I would continue to disagree with the behaviors you don't want (like humping your poor sweet old Pug for sure) but use a water spray bottle to share your disagreement as it is a passive way of sharing displeasure without getting bit. I might also put a drag leash on him so you have instant access to Gus without having to grab his collar.

I am anxious to hear what the vet says. Hang in there. Something's happening with Gus. A guy just doesn't become genuinely aggressive overnight.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

yes this could be something changed in him like pain or some medical ailment. if you get the all clear at the vet then some behaviour training will be in order. sarah got very aggressive a few months ago to. she has always had issues since the day i got her but they got worse. turns out she had a hernia and breast cancer so im sure she was in a bit of pain. i have taken steps to change this behaviour as it was somewhat present before. she sits before eating now and has a harness and a leash on in the house. i prevent known triggers and my house is much happier now. i so hope you find out what is going on.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I agree with Vicaroo 1000 and Cowsmom comments that something out of the ordinary is going on with Gus, dogs don't just get aggressive or vicious overnight or for no reason, especially the EB breed, it's not in them to be aggressive or mean. I hope and pray the vet can find the reason whether its pain, illness, or some medical reason, and he can treat it. Prayers, love and hugs sent your way that everything is okay. Keep us posted
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

You're very welcome, and good luck, I hope the vet can figure it out, and what is wrong with Gus. Keep us posted on what he says

- - - Updated - - -

You're very welcome, and good luck, I hope the vet can figure it out, and what is wrong with Gus. Keep us posted on what he says
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads