Help Needed! Itchy skin leading to open sores

Bjop2010

Apr 17, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mimi
We just adopted Mimi. She's 2 and has been itching the last 3 days. Today, I noticed she itched so much she has open sores now that are wet and a little bloody. Raw basically. What can I do to treat it. I started her on a raw diet yesterday. I gave her benedryl tonight. I don't want this to get out of control. Thank you in advance for any advice.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Continue with the benadryl 1mg per 1lb of Bully every 8 hours. Wash the areas with baby shampoo, ivory soap, hibiclens, witch hazel, something gentle. If your dog is not diabetic you can apply hydrocortizone cream to the sore areas which will help with the itching. Do not apply anything with zinc in it like calamine lotion.

Distract with a great treat that last like and antler and hopefully the bumps will be cleared up in a few days!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I can't think of any better advice!

Congrats on finding Mimi and giving her the forever home she deserves. :heart:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Welcome to EBN and yes, GOD bless you for saving her life.

Excellent advice given just wanted to suggest keeping a t-shirt
on her and perhaps socks if she's chewing on her paws.

lovemydog

Apr 16, 2013
Wichita, KS
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus (2011-2013), Orrla (2009-2020), Dugall
I use Baker Soda with Angus, it can always stop his itchiness. Depend on how itchy he was, if lightly, I will use warm water dissolve baking soda and clean the itchy spots; if serious, I will use warm wet towel sprinkle baking soda on top to make a layer, cover his itchy spot for 1 min. One night, while we were playing, Angus broke his thumb nail (but not off), he was bleeding, I used Neosporin, bandage and clean sock covered his wound and brought him to the vet next morning. The Vet told me that I can use any kind of flour to cover his bleeding part, it will stop the bleeding.

OP
B

Bjop2010

Apr 17, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mimi
Thanks for the advice! Someone else recommended medicated gold bond powder????

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
Jenna used to get those on her back...it ended up being allergies...went to a grain free food and avoid chicken helped alot...she'll get one every now and then but it's usually after she steals a few bites of cat food...i did have to take her to the vet and get meds but not the food seems to keep it under control

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
itchies can turn into hot spots right away - i use witch hazel now and the gold bond cream.
Vedco ChlorHex 2X 4% Shampoo and spray are a big help too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We just adopted Mimi. She's 2 and has been itching the last 3 days. Today, I noticed she itched so much she has open sores now that are wet and a little bloody. Raw basically. What can I do to treat it. I started her on a raw diet yesterday. I gave her benedryl tonight. I don't want this to get out of control. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Hello and welcome... thanks for rescuing Mimi!! Can you post a picture of the sores?

OP
B

Bjop2010

Apr 17, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mimi
Her raw diet has a lot of chicken in it. Can I ask what food you're feeding? I was told to stay away from soy and potatoes too.

OP
B

Bjop2010

Apr 17, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mimi
I can't post a pic with my iPad. Is that normal?

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Her raw diet has a lot of chicken in it. Can I ask what food you're feeding? I was told to stay away from soy and potatoes too.

Raw chicken seems to be different than kibbles with chicken in it for a lot of bullies, especially mine. Cleo can't have kibble with chicken but since I feed raw she has a large part of it with chicken and does fine. She allergies to this IL grass though, her paws and girly area that she plops on the grass when she tinkles gets mighty red so I give her a wipe down with witch hazel wipes. Jeez, hasn't she ever heard of "hovering" to potty??

Most Reactions