Joint Health

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
We just got our puppy, Barkley, about a month ago and he's 5 months old. I know bulldogs can have joint problems and didn't know if it would be a good idea to start giving him some type of supplement to help protect against this.

The main reason I'm concerned is that we live on the 3rd floor of our apt. complex right now so everytime he goes out he has to walk up and down all those stairs and I'm worried it's going to hurt his joints eventually (although he is going to have some strong arm/leg muscles! ) :D We will be moving in a few months so he won't have to do that for too much longer!!

So just wondering if we should be giving him anything now or if it's not really a big deal since he's still a puppy?

Thanks!!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We just started Mabel on Agility, a musculoskeletal supplement for dogs. It's made by Life's Abundance. I had a long conversation with the vet who formulates the product. She said it isn't just for the joints, but the whole system. I hope it works for her!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
we give glucosime and chondrotin (sp?) --- there are other products that members use and they will be along shortly with some advice. Also check the forum on our site 'Great Procducts for English Bulldogs'

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Just ordered Phycox. It was recommended to me by a vet, and a few bulldog owners in my neighborhood.
Was told you don't have to wait for your bullie to develop symptoms before using.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We give our two guys apple cider vinegar in their drinking water everyday, it's very good for inflammation and the immune system, we also give salmon oil in their kibble for the Omegas. You can also give glucosamine and Chondroitin, plus your vet is a good source for advice on which supplements are good for dogs joints.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah gets overby farms hip flex i got at petco. i use the level 2 as a test and she is doing ok so might not go to level 3. it has glucosamine and msm plus the omegas, vit c, tart cherry, and vit e. the level 3 has chondroitin plus other things. i dont give the salmon oil since feeding this. i do use acv in the water every other bowl. i dont guess it would hurt anything to go ahead and use something now.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Thanks for all the suggestions! I picked up some glucosamine and chondroitin supplement to mix in his food from a pet market and am going to start him on it today. I figure it would be a good idea to start him on something now with how active he is and all the stairs he has to climb! :)

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Has anyone used Cosequin? The Diva is starting to limp...we are moving in with my fiance soon and he has two story house and she is climbing stairs now and I notice that she favors her right hind leg. I think she is getting arthritic, has a touch of dysplasia plus she is a bit on the heavy side. We are working on the weight issue but until we buy a new house there will be stairs and all the bedrooms are upstairs and she likes sleeping in the same room as mommy.

I used Cosequin before but just wondered if people have tried it and had better luck with another similar product.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online