Dhpp vs DhppL

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I have a question on vaccines. Ace is 6 months old He got a DHPP vaccine with his health certificate at 8 weeks on 12-19-12, then he received another DHPP vaccine on 1-5-13 from our Vet, then another DHPPL from our Vet on 1-26-13, so he has had three Distemper shots and the Vet office said he is due for a booster DHPPL. If it's necessary I am fine with it but is that the usual protocol? I don't want him to receive unnecessary vaccines. Thanks in advance for any information

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Interesting, I haven't heard of this. Blue received his 3rd DHPP in March (technically 4th because Vet said he got his first shot too young). The next one's a booster scheduled for March 2014.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=7587]Rural mystic[/MENTION]
I guess the "leptospirosis" needs the booster?
Wondering why they included it. Did you ask for that vaccine?

This is what I read about it: leptospirosis (“lepto”). Dogs can pick up this microbe by drinking contaminated water or coming in contact with the urine of an infected animal. Infection can lead to liver damage, kidney failure, and meningitis. This vaccine should be given yearly and is recommended for dogs that go anywhere that wild animals frequent; hunting, camping, rivers, etc. Leptospirosis vaccine is sometimes included with distemper/parvo and is indicated by an “L” in the abbreviation (e.g. DA2PL/CPV, DHPPL).

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
My guess is perhaps this is why they want to give the booster as the records that I have show the first two vaccines as DHPP and only the third DHPPL.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The DHPP is given at 6, 9, 12, and 15 weeks of age. The Lipto is usually given when they are a little older because of the higher incidence of adverse reactions following this vaccination over any other type of vaccines.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.