quick question about salmon oil..

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
Major is allergic to fish can i still give him salmon oil? been giving him virgin olive oil, but i want a change. thanks

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I wouldn't chance it. Bully's are so allergic already. Allergies are like a pile of blocks. Each block is an allergy. You are building a tower on a carpet where it isn't to steady to start with. Each block of allergy that you add the more unsteady the tower becomes and with each block you get a symptom itchy eyes, teary eyes, itchy paws, hives. One day you put that next block of allergy on there and the whole tower falls over and you have a very sick dog. So even if your dog doesn't show a reaction to the salmon oil you already know it is an allergy block why put it in your tower when there are other options.
Why do you want to switch to something different?

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
because i heard so many good thing about salmon oil, i could try coconut oil, any brands would you recommended? thanks

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Needs to say virgin coconut oil The recommended dose is a teaspoon of coconut oil per 10 pounds of dog, or you can give a table spoon per 30 pounds. Start with about 1/4 the recommended dosage and build up to the recommended level over 3-4 weeks, as sometimes flu-like symptoms can appear if you start to fast

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, my Blossom is also allergic to salmon oil, so we give her cod liver oil, but since Major is allergic to fish, you could give him coconut oil for the omegas.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
A great brand & not too expensive is EFA Gold by Nature's Way. I found it at
Walgreen's or CVS and I think, at Walmart...call them to ask if they carry it.

It has all the things to want in your coconut oil, organic, pure extra virgin, non
GMO, cold pressed & unrefined & unbleached...WHEW!

It's great to take for all of you, great to cook with & can heat at high heats.

I started giving Brutus (55 lbs) 1/2 teasp & mixed into his am meal as it helps
give energy, for 2 weeks then 1 teasp after that each am feeding.

It's great to mix in mix, juices, smoothies for y'all's consumption, I still just
take a big teasp each day, it seems to do the trick! It's a great skin & hair
moisterizer.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Princess Gracie did not do well on either salmon oil nor coconut oil but does well on Fish oil pills. One a day.

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Also milled flax seeds are a great source of omega3s, I find it at my local grocery store, and sprinkle a tablespoonful on Chunks kibble (I also sneak it into human foods when hubby isn't looking) It's not very expensive, lasts a while and adds fiber in as well :2thumbs:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I was going to suggest organic coconut oil too!!! :2thumbs:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Does coconut oil help with the shedding like salmon oil does? *sorry if I missed that somewhere*

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.