General Question Convenia Antibiotic Injection

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I am curious as to whether or not anyone has ever had Convenia prescribed to their bully?

It's an alternative to taking a 2 week course of antibiotic pills but instead is a slow-release injection.

Linus was prescribed it for an upper respiratory infection and I never heard of it but Googling it scared me - there were some horror stories, but mostly on cats.

There are obvious advantages for those who do not take pills well and aren't able to give pills at regular intervals but the disadvantage is you cannot stop taking it if there is a problem or reaction.

It's also expensive (that's what I get for sending my husband to the vet!) at $120 for a two week injection.

Any experiences with this medication, good or bad?

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
No experience with the injection but glad to hear that Linus made it through the weekend ok. Give him a snuggle for me and I hope the new medication works.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No, but I am going to inquire at my next vet visit so I can have some info on it

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Yes, Walley Bubba got to try Convenia last Thursday and the results were very good.

Walley Bubba had some kind of skin infection starting up on the top of his head.
And a couple of what looked like large insect bites on his neck and cheek.
He had also scratched his right ear raw and there was a small scab.
Plus I noticed he was hurriedly sitting, which was unusual behavior, right after taking a dump.
And as usual, he was quite pink from working himself up into a tissy which always happens the lady vet techs!

The vet, Sharon Liedecker, at Banfield told me the following:
1. They were not insect bites on his neck/face but some kind of allergie.
I forget what she called it, but it was a skin infection, not insect bites.
He gets Advantix anyway, so I was glad it wasn't insect bites.
She pointed out other small bumps starting to form on the top of his head as well.
2. The ears were free of any kind of infection.
3. Perhaps an x-ray for the squatting but we decided to check his anal gland even though he got them emptied at the groomers 2 weeks ago.
4. Yes, "WALTER" is a handful!

For the skin infection, she prescribed antibiotics and gave me the choice of injection ($102) or pills (much cheaper).
I chose the Convenia inject-able even though it's more expensive because it avoids having to deal with pills every day for 2 weeks.
Plus they gave me a $30 Convenia rebate which I just sent in so the cost was $72 which isn't too terrible.
He got the Convenia needle three times, two next to his er "junk" and one in the shoulder.
But he didn't complain, he's so macho!

For the squatting issue, she drained his anal glands which it turned out were both full.
That's odd because the groomer allegedly emptied them two weeks ago.
Sharon said it is hard to see how the groomer can properly empty anal glands externally, she does it internally.
Through the window in the door, I saw her go inside his butt and squeezed alot of brown fluid out which caused her and the vet techs to make wrinkled faced (poo!).
The he got the needle three times but behaved very well throughout the process.

That was on Thursday evening and this morning his face looks alot clearer and one of the "bites" on his neck is gone while the other on his cheek is healing.

So I learned a couple of things:
1. Convenia inject-able seems to work fast with no obvious side effects.
2. I'ts worth the $27 for the vet to properly empty the anal glands.

Oh and Thursday evenings at 7PM is very quiet at Banfield so that is a good time to go in for an appointment unlike the madhouse during the day.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yes, Walley Bubba got to try Convenia last Thursday and the results were very good.

Walley Bubba had some kind of skin infection starting up on the top of his head.
And a couple of what looked like large insect bites on his neck and cheek.
He had also scratched his right ear raw and there was a small scab.
Plus I noticed he was hurriedly sitting, which was unusual behavior, right after taking a dump.
And as usual, he was quite pink from working himself up into a tissy which always happens the lady vet techs!

The vet, Sharon Liedecker, at Banfield told me the following:
1. They were not insect bites on his neck/face but some kind of allergie.
I forget what she called it, but it was a skin infection, not insect bites.
He gets Advantix anyway, so I was glad it wasn't insect bites.
She pointed out other small bumps starting to form on the top of his head as well.
2. The ears were free of any kind of infection.
3. Perhaps an x-ray for the squatting but we decided to check his anal gland even though he got them emptied at the groomers 2 weeks ago.
4. Yes, "WALTER" is a handful!

For the skin infection, she prescribed antibiotics and gave me the choice of injection ($102) or pills (much cheaper).
I chose the Convenia inject-able even though it's more expensive because it avoids having to deal with pills every day for 2 weeks.
Plus they gave me a $30 Convenia rebate which I just sent in so the cost was $72 which isn't too terrible.
He got the Convenia needle three times, two next to his er "junk" and one in the shoulder.
But he didn't complain, he's so macho!

For the squatting issue, she drained his anal glands which it turned out were both full.
That's odd because the groomer allegedly emptied them two weeks ago.
Sharon said it is hard to see how the groomer can properly empty anal glands externally, she does it internally.
Through the window in the door, I saw her go inside his butt and squeezed alot of brown fluid out which caused her and the vet techs to make wrinkled faced (poo!).
The he got the needle three times but behaved very well throughout the process.

That was on Thursday evening and this morning his face looks alot clearer and one of the "bites" on his neck is gone while the other on his cheek is healing.

So I learned a couple of things:
1. Convenia inject-able seems to work fast with no obvious side effects.
2. I'ts worth the $27 for the vet to properly empty the anal glands.

Oh and Thursday evenings at 7PM is very quiet at Banfield so that is a good time to go in for an appointment unlike the madhouse during the day.

Thanks for the info. on the Convenia.

Blue also had a skin infection. Looked like he was losing fur in random spots. Kinda like Alopecia but much smaller areas and all over. Our dermatologist said it was allergy related.
She also offered to the shot but I opted for pills. Was scared he might have a reaction to the shot (as he does most things).
Good to know it a safe alternative.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.