Help Needed! Whelps!

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
I just noticed Brutus has whelps all over his back legs, and a couple on his sides! Plus two raw spots on his jowls. He had been itching since we got home. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hives? can you get a picture?

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
We finally got him to lay down w/ my bf, unfortunately tummy up where he doesn't have bumps They are just big ( 1/2" to 2" areas) swollen, I can't see through his hair to see anything because they are all in his brown hair other then the face area

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like it could be hives... you can give Benedryl 1mg per pound of Bully up to 3x a day

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
I wasn't sure of pound per mg. So he just had his first one, 25 mg. and he is 51 lbs, so another as soon as he wakes up. This is the best picture I could get, and it doesn't really show. It's the rough areas in his coat on his leg.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
%100 Aloe Vera or hydrocortisone cream as long as your dog is not diabetic. Do not use calamine lotion it is bad for dogs.

Oatmeal bath (you can make it or buy it)
You'll need a blender, food processor or coffee grinder and 1 cup of oatmeal. You can use instant oatmeal (unflavored), quick oats or slow cooking oats- all work equally as well. You'll only need about 1/3 cup per bath.
Blend or process the oats on the highest setting until you have a very fine, consistent powder. To test the colloid property of the oatmeal, stir 1 tablespoon of the ground oats into a glass of warm water. If the oats readily absorb the water and give it a milky look and a silky feel, you've blended long enough.
Giving the bath:
Sprinkle the oatmeal into a tub of running water and stir the water with your hand several times to ensure even distribution. Feel along the bottom of the tub for clumps and break up any you find.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He got into something he was allergic too, so the Benedryl should help.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice above I hope he's okay!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you everyone! my poor boy, i feel so bad for him. It looks like we will be off to the vet as soon as they open, he had even more this morning :(

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Late to this, so sorry for you & Brutus, sending love & prayers, please let
us know what Vet says...hugs for y'all.
:assurred:

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
The vet said it could be anything, they said spiders are real bad this year. All we can guess is something in the yard. He does love to eat bugs, as much as we disapprove. They gave him a ateroid shot, antibiotics, and Benedryl every 8 hours. Dr Jones did give us a frequent flyer discount 😁 So glad we have insurance after everything he has been through. I'll upload some new pics when I get home, I brought him to work with me for the day lol I was too worried to leave him alone

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The vet said it could be anything, they said spiders are real bad this year. All we can guess is something in the yard. He does love to eat bugs, as much as we disapprove. They gave him a ateroid shot, antibiotics, and Benedryl every 8 hours. Dr Jones did give us a frequent flyer discount  So glad we have insurance after everything he has been through. I'll upload some new pics when I get home, I brought him to work with me for the day lol I was too worried to leave him alone Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So jealous that you can take him to work with you..... :shout: Happy he is on road to recovery.....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.