new and have question regarding congestion...

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
Hi,
First, I apologize, I am sure this question is asked many times. I have read quite a bit about the bulldog before getting one. I have had boxers for many years so know the pushed in nose. When my Ernie wakes in the morning...it sounds like he has the worst cold ever, it is terrible. After about an hour he sounds like what I assume is a normal bulldog. Is this common to be so congested upon waking? My vet recommended a surgery to help him breathe through his nose a bit better...

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I have 5 bully's and I'm sure none of mine would be able to walk for 1 hour. They are way different than boxers, especially when it comes to activity and breathing. Your vet may be right. lots of them do have surgery . if he's got lots of phlegm carry a plastic lemon in case he chokes on his own thick foam. squirt the lemon juice in his throat to open the airways of white foam.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, it can be normal for some.... our girl is not as bad as our boy was. Nitshcke has terrible trouble in the morning, we needed to get his palate reduced and his nares widened. Once we did this, at about the age of two he did much better --- not perfect, but much better

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
:sunny:Please never apologize for asking a question or multiple questions that's why we are all here! We all want what is best for you and your Bully.

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
so the congestion would be more related to his respitory issues(being a bulldog) rather than allergies? I am wondering if it could be a combination of things. He will be neutered at 6 months and I cannot wait so he can have the other surgeries as well. I feel so bad for him!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
so the congestion would be more related to his respitory issues(being a bulldog) rather than allergies? I am wondering if it could be a combination of things. He will be neutered at 6 months and I cannot wait so he can have the other surgeries as well. I feel so bad for him!

It can definitly be a combination of things..... Nitshcke's allergies were horrible during the spring and summer and even after the palate and nares procedure his congestion got better, but was still worse than Banks'. Banks has very bad allergies in spring and fall, but her congestion is easily managed with Benedryl.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.