General Question Congestion and mild lethargy - should I be concerned?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I love my Linus so much and worry a lot about his aging lately, I tend to overreact when something looks wrong with them.

Over the past couple days, I've noticed him coughing (especially around meals), wheezing while sleeping, some lethargy, and some mild vomiting after meals, which appear to be an effort to clear his throat.

He's eating and drinking fine. He's peeing and pooing fine. He's not super lethargic, just a little slow going - but I am worried.

He's on some allergy medicine, which seems to be working and his ears are pretty clean. He seems to be getting around fine but the coughing, wheezing, and mild lethargy have me worried.

I know it's non-specific but any ideas? I am probably going to take him in on Monday if I don't see a big improvement but it sort of seems like I make up my mind to take him to the vet and the next day he's acting much better...so I'm at a loss!

Thanks for any advice!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
How can we not worry about this breed where anything can & does, pop
up anytime, anywhere...especially as they are aging?!! Crossing fingers
it is nothing and will resolve itself asap.

Cami has been lethargic this week too and not eating, nothing seems to be
wrong so I'm assuming it's allergies due to spring bloom out of stuff. Also,
she's from about 6 hrs South of here and a different climate/fauna so I
thinks she's adjusting to new/different pollens, etc GOD bless all there!

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Of course you are worried, you know Linus better than anyone else. Do you think a humidifier my help break up some of the congestion for the weekend? Have you snuggled him all over to see if he has any tender muscles or joints? What kind of allergy medication is he on?

The questions you already have gone through in your head but I have to ask. Any new food, treats or snacks? Any new grooming products? Have you changed laundry detergents, softeners, dryer sheets? What has been different in your routine in the past few days? If you don't want to answer any of this I understand and I hope Linus feels better. Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Jill... what allergy med is he on? When Banks allergies (spring/fall) start up and I first start giving the Benedryl.. for a few days all she does is sleep, does not want to play.. just kind of lays around, but everything else is fine. Is this possible?

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
All good questions!

Linus is on hydroxyzine, which he's been on for the past few weeks, and it hasn't produced any side effects. It's a super common anti-histamine. For him nothing has changed really other than the weather. It's getting warmer out so he's been shedding a ton but he's inside most of the day with the air conditioning on just living the life! :)

I noticed him trying to clear the throat over the past week but it got worse on Thursday, when he skipped a meal in the morning (which is unheard of for Linus) but he's been eating and drinking regularly ever since.

Since he's a 7 year old bulldog, he's not running races anymore but he usually plays a little at night before bed with some toys and he hasn't really been into that or, if he does, it's very quick.

The throat clearing and the wheezing, which sometimes sounds like honking, just seem so bothersome but I can't tell if it's just bad allergies that we have to get through or not.

He's gotten up on the couch for cuddles a few times and seems fine. I checked his temp (normal), his gums (pink), his ears (which I cleaned up and look decent), and he did appear to be limping the day he skipped a meal, that appears to have resolved itself.

Debbie Downer disclosure: ever since Linus turned 7, I find myself looking for signs of the beginning of the end. I know it sounds awful but he's so special to me and I don't know why my mind always turns there whenever there's a problem - even one like this when I put it into writing, doesn't seem that bad! I am sure this attitude isn't helpful to Linus, but I don't seem to be able to help myself. And so, I find myself overreacting to things and thinking "heart failure" instead of "probably allergies." :(

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It could just be a respiratory infection, so hopefully when you take him to the vet tomorrow he will find out what it is. Hope it's nothing serious and with some meds he'll be back to normal. :2thumbs:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would take him in just to be sure theres nothing going on. could just be a virus as dogs get things to.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I am thinking it's just a respiratory infection too, but I would still take him to the vets just to make sure that it isn't something more serious!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well I'm thinking the crazy weather here in AZ isn't helping. We had non stop winds for two days. I am getting suspicious of the creosote being a bigtime allergy producer since we just don't have as many allergens in AZ.

I sure hope its just allergies, luckily he's eating and drinking. I'm feeling paranoid myself so don't feel like you're over reacting, we love our kids and know when something's just off.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I agree with David it may be a respiratory infection and it may be mild if he is only showing those signs at present. Ace recently got over a respiratory infection but he was hacking pretty bad and throwing up mucus. The vet said there was an unusually high incident of these this year. She attributed it al likely to be from the high pollen rate this year. It's always bad here in North Florida this time of year but even worse this year. Everything was blooming and lots of pollen then a late freeze and it started up all over again. So maybe its allergies that has turned into a respiratory infection if so an antibiotic and he will snap out of it in a few days with treatment

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Also...the benadryl could be loosening up phlegm and causing upset tummy..and the wee bit of vomiting. Often, with congestion..it has to be expelled and vomiting does happen.

Jill, I so understand your worry. Jake is just 2 1/2 and I don't like it. :( But..on a positive note..we have had quite a few Bully's lately that are 10..11 even 13 years young! Enjoy your sweet boy...:hug:

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks everyone - the wheezing is out of control today so I definitely need to take him in.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
We will keep him in our thoughts and remember that we are here to support you. We will be waiting to hear what the vet says.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Well, we're back from the vet.

The good news is that Linus' heart and lungs sound good and he continues to eat and drink well.

The bad news is they think he has some kind of upper respiratory infection causing severe congestion, probably due to allergies. Allergies! Damn them, this year, they are awful!

Anyway, since I can't lift Linus in my car, I had to trust my husband to take him, which results in a strange antibiotic given to Linus by injection called Convenia. Apparently it replaces taking an antibiotic by pill over the course of a week but I am a bit concerned because I've never heard of it and it sounds like it's pretty new. Anyone ever try Convenia?

He also got some hydrocodone to help stop the wheezing and coughing.

Since this is likely the product of horrendous allergies around here, we also started Linus on cyclosporine, which is the allergy medicine that Truman is on, to at least control symptoms during this season to try to make sure he doesn't get sick again.

Since he's so congested and is wheezing hard and throwing up when he gets excited or exerts himself, we are supposed to keep him pretty quiet until he starts feeling better, which will hopefully be soon. He sounds so bad right now! :(

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Oh and we also put him on an Omega-3 supplement to try to help his fur, which is really ratty looking due to allergies too! It was nice and shiny before we hit March.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.