Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Congestion and mild lethargy - should I be concerned?

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default Congestion and mild lethargy - should I be concerned?

I love my Linus so much and worry a lot about his aging lately, I tend to overreact when something looks wrong with them.

Over the past couple days, I've noticed him coughing (especially around meals), wheezing while sleeping, some lethargy, and some mild vomiting after meals, which appear to be an effort to clear his throat.

He's eating and drinking fine. He's peeing and pooing fine. He's not super lethargic, just a little slow going - but I am worried.

He's on some allergy medicine, which seems to be working and his ears are pretty clean. He seems to be getting around fine but the coughing, wheezing, and mild lethargy have me worried.

I know it's non-specific but any ideas? I am probably going to take him in on Monday if I don't see a big improvement but it sort of seems like I make up my mind to take him to the vet and the next day he's acting much better...so I'm at a loss!

Thanks for any advice!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Congestion and mild lethargy - should I be concerned?

How can we not worry about this breed where anything can & does, pop
    up anytime, anywhere...especially as they are aging?!! Crossing fingers
    it is nothing and will resolve itself asap.

Cami has been lethargic this week too and not eating, nothing seems to be
    wrong so I'm assuming it's allergies due to spring bloom out of stuff. Also,
    she's from about 6 hrs South of here and a different climate/fauna so I
    thinks she's adjusting to new/different pollens, etc GOD bless all there!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)

Of course you are worried, you know Linus better than anyone else. Do you think a humidifier my help break up some of the congestion for the weekend? Have you snuggled him all over to see if he has any tender muscles or joints? What kind of allergy medication is he on?

The questions you already have gone through in your head but I have to ask. Any new food, treats or snacks? Any new grooming products? Have you changed laundry detergents, softeners, dryer sheets? What has been different in your routine in the past few days? If you don't want to answer any of this I understand and I hope Linus feels better. Just some thoughts off the top of my head.
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Jill... what allergy med is he on? When Banks allergies (spring/fall) start up and I first start giving the Benedryl.. for a few days all she does is sleep, does not want to play.. just kind of lays around, but everything else is fine. Is this possible?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

All good questions!

Linus is on hydroxyzine, which he's been on for the past few weeks, and it hasn't produced any side effects. It's a super common anti-histamine. For him nothing has changed really other than the weather. It's getting warmer out so he's been shedding a ton but he's inside most of the day with the air conditioning on just living the life!

I noticed him trying to clear the throat over the past week but it got worse on Thursday, when he skipped a meal in the morning (which is unheard of for Linus) but he's been eating and drinking regularly ever since.

Since he's a 7 year old bulldog, he's not running races anymore but he usually plays a little at night before bed with some toys and he hasn't really been into that or, if he does, it's very quick.

The throat clearing and the wheezing, which sometimes sounds like honking, just seem so bothersome but I can't tell if it's just bad allergies that we have to get through or not.

He's gotten up on the couch for cuddles a few times and seems fine. I checked his temp (normal), his gums (pink), his ears (which I cleaned up and look decent), and he did appear to be limping the day he skipped a meal, that appears to have resolved itself.

Debbie Downer disclosure: ever since Linus turned 7, I find myself looking for signs of the beginning of the end. I know it sounds awful but he's so special to me and I don't know why my mind always turns there whenever there's a problem - even one like this when I put it into writing, doesn't seem that bad! I am sure this attitude isn't helpful to Linus, but I don't seem to be able to help myself. And so, I find myself overreacting to things and thinking "heart failure" instead of "probably allergies."

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

It could just be a respiratory infection, so hopefully when you take him to the vet tomorrow he will find out what it is. Hope it's nothing serious and with some meds he'll be back to normal.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

i would take him in just to be sure theres nothing going on. could just be a virus as dogs get things to.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I am thinking it's just a respiratory infection too, but I would still take him to the vets just to make sure that it isn't something more serious!!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Well I'm thinking the crazy weather here in AZ isn't helping. We had non stop winds for two days. I am getting suspicious of the creosote being a bigtime allergy producer since we just don't have as many allergens in AZ.

I sure hope its just allergies, luckily he's eating and drinking. I'm feeling paranoid myself so don't feel like you're over reacting, we love our kids and know when something's just off.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

I agree with David it may be a respiratory infection and it may be mild if he is only showing those signs at present. Ace recently got over a respiratory infection but he was hacking pretty bad and throwing up mucus. The vet said there was an unusually high incident of these this year. She attributed it al likely to be from the high pollen rate this year. It's always bad here in North Florida this time of year but even worse this year. Everything was blooming and lots of pollen then a late freeze and it started up all over again. So maybe its allergies that has turned into a respiratory infection if so an antibiotic and he will snap out of it in a few days with treatment

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Also...the benadryl could be loosening up phlegm and causing upset tummy..and the wee bit of vomiting. Often, with congestion..it has to be expelled and vomiting does happen.

Jill, I so understand your worry. Jake is just 2 1/2 and I don't like it. But..on a positive note..we have had quite a few Bully's lately that are 10..11 even 13 years young! Enjoy your sweet boy...

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone - the wheezing is out of control today so I definitely need to take him in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads