General Question Initial hair loss on side????

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I looked at BeBe today and hers is getting a little bigger, so I think it is seasonal alopecia, she has never had it before, but maybe since she is getting older. Tammy told us to put some mineral oil on it to help with her itching. @JeannieCO she's not itching as much as she was and it doesn't seem to bother her. I'm off several days this week, so I will let her sun some.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I looked at BeBe today and hers is getting a little bigger, so I think it is seasonal alopecia, she has never had it before, but maybe since she is getting older. Tammy told us to put some mineral oil on it to help with her itching. @JeannieCO she's not itching as much as she was and it doesn't seem to bother her. I'm off several days this week, so I will let her sun some.

You still have my BeBe ?? :love:

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], You know I've seen several posts on this but never really paid too much attention to them (well what I read never stuck). Will have to check into this a bit more. Wilson's really been into being scratched later too. I'll dab him with mineral oil then too in that spot.

Poor BeBe, this and she has to deal with two grumpies too.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Looks like's it's lack of sunlight related to some extent and English Bulldogs are prone to it.

What is Seasonal Alopecia?

As its name suggests, Seasonal Alopecia happens during certain times per year and results in the animal losing fur typically at the flank area. The diagnosis comes after a series of tests are performed by a veterinarian to determine that the dog is not suffering from fleas, allergies, a fungal infection or a number of other triggers that can cause the animal to scratch at the area.

Seasons and breeds

Seasonal Alopecia usually occurs in French Bulldogs, English Bulldogs, Scottish Terriers, Akitas, Bouvier de Flanders, Shar Peis, Giant Schnauzers, Airedale Terriers, Labrador Retrievers, Boxers and Doberman Pinschers. The condition typically happens during the fall and winter months when pets are likely to stay inside more often due to the changing weather conditions.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.