General Question Initial hair loss on side????

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Just noticed this on Wilson today when I took him for a walk. It's only on his upper left side. Will be keeping an eye on it. Not sure if it's allergies, mange of some sort or from me giving him a very good brushing last weekend with the curry comb.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We noticed BeBe had two spots on her back like that too, one on each side. She has been rubbing herself against her crate, so we are thinking seasonal allergies or maybe her food, but she has been on that food for awhile.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
David, that might be it, the rubbing. He does that constantly now since he has to wear his harness. He's been on the new food long enough now for that not to be it. I didn't think of the rubbing. I'll focus in on that now in case that's it.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I wish these Bullies could talk! It would make life so much easier. Sorry to hear you have a spot Wilson.
No kidding huh? Sure would eliminate a lot of guessing games. I'm really leaning toward him rubbing it off. Time will tell though.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
I found the same thing on Watson today after I gave him a bath. The skin is black.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365908843.119552.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365908843.119552.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 103

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I think it might be seasonal allergies or seasonal shedding. Truman has a thin spot on his side and his hair is falling out like crazy - so as long as there's no irritation, I'd keep an eye on it and see that it's not something bigger.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I found the same thing on Watson today after I gave him a bath. The skin is black.

That skin looks like it is rough or has raised areas - does it? If yes, you may want the vet to do a skin scrape to rule out any issues

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
David, that might be it, the rubbing. He does that constantly now since he has to wear his harness. He's been on the new food long enough now for that not to be it. I didn't think of the rubbing. I'll focus in on that now in case that's it.

THAT'S IT... I am coming to get him!! :giggle:

Jeannie - i was looking at Emma's pictures, her face/folds - OUCH! That is exactly how Banks looks when she has chicken, salmon or white potatoes

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
That skin looks like it is rough or has raised areas - does it? If yes, you may want the vet to do a skin scrape to rule out any issues

I think it's the picture quality is a bit grainy, it is smooth and on the flank right in front of his hind legs. He has a matching spot on the other side as well. He is not bothered by it all. I haven't seen him rubbing anything.

He has had issues with hives and hotspots in the past, really bad ones. But none since he has been on merricks grain free pork which he has been on for 8 months or so.

I think it may be seasonal flank alopecia. He stays inside most of the time and doesn't get much sunshine. If things look worse, I will have the vet take a look at it, thanks for the input.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think it's the picture quality is a bit grainy, it is smooth and on the flank right in front of his hind legs. He has a matching spot on the other side as well. He is not bothered by it all. I haven't seen him rubbing anything.

He has had issues with hives and hotspots in the past, really bad ones. But none since he has been on merricks grain free pork which he has been on for 8 months or so.

I think it may be seasonal flank alopecia. He stays inside most of the time and doesn't get much sunshine. If things look worse, I will have the vet take a look at it, thanks for the input.

GREAT to hear.... bumps make me nervous :) Give the poor a hug form me... love his freckles!

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
THAT'S IT... I am coming to get him!! :giggle:

Jeannie - i was looking at Emma's pictures, her face/folds - OUCH! That is exactly how Banks looks when she has chicken, salmon or white potatoes

If there was ever a person who would be the one to take Wilson, you'd be it! :buddies:

I'm wondering if it's the white potatoes? Could be the salmon oil (she still gets some from time to time) but I don't thing the Salmon Oil is it. I'm going to move her on the new Fromm food that you found as soon as it's available on Petflow. She must have a high pain tolerance too, the sores never seems to bother her at all.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

:w00t: you do exist!!!!! where have you been my young Doctor friend? good to see Wilson as always. we the same thing here, just about every year at this time. if it's not one it's another, but yeah I agree with you, seasonal alopecia. Give Wilson a hug from the twenty paws :flirt:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If there was ever a person who would be the one to take Wilson, you'd be it! :buddies:

I'm wondering if it's the white potatoes? Could be the salmon oil (she still gets some from time to time) but I don't thing the Salmon Oil is it. I'm going to move her on the new Fromm food that you found as soon as it's available on Petflow. She must have a high pain tolerance too, the sores never seems to bother her at all.

:jumping: WILSON!!!

White potatoes... kick Banks' butt!

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Great to see you Dr. Watson....:laugh: Been wanting to say that. :) Looks Watson and Wilson have the same thing going on. Watson's looking great other than the bald spot.

@shehistory, zero irritation. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.