Help Needed! Paw problems!

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hello everyone!

I adopted a 4 year old English Bulldog about 2 months ago, I just took him to the vet on Friday for his booster shot and I noticed today that his paw is really swollen and red. He limps on and off and he licks it a lot. The vet isn't open until Monday but can anyone suggest anything that could help him or what caused it?

I'll try to post pictures soon.

Thank you!

Here's his paw:

GetAttachment.aspx

GetAttachment.aspx

Last edited:

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Feel around in the paw and up the leg to make sure there is nothing stuck in there?

Are there any cuts or bumps or anything that looks different than the other paws?

If you find something repost your new findings.

If you find nothing.

Wash the area off with apple cider vinegar or vinegar if you don't have apple cider vinegar.

Witch Hazel or 100% Aloe Vera Gel (must be 100%) will help sooth the area.

Give Benadryl (generic is fine) 1 mg per lb of dog. Every 8 hours.

Hope fully this will get you through tell Monday.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hi Christy!

I felt around and I couldn't find anything. I don't think he's in pain because he'll let me touch and poke at it no problem and he'll even try to run around on it. I soaked his paw in warm water with epsom salt, but I will try the vinegar tomorrow, since he's sleeping for the night.

I also read that it could be an allergy to his food. He's on Royal Canin...which was recommended by Petsmart and our vet said it's very good food. But I'm starting to have my doubts.

Thank you for your help! I've never owned a bulldog...or a dog before so I'm still a little new to this.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hi Christy!

I felt around and I couldn't find anything. I don't think he's in pain because he'll let me touch and poke at it no problem and he'll even try to run around on it. I soaked his paw in warm water with epsom salt, but I will try the vinegar tomorrow, since he's sleeping for the night.

I also read that it could be an allergy to his food. He's on Royal Canin...which was recommended by Petsmart and our vet said it's very good food. But I'm starting to have my doubts.

Thank you for your help! I've never owned a bulldog...or a dog before so I'm still a little new to this.

Christy has given you great advice as far as the food goes, Royal Canin is not the best food . Have you checked the dog food ratings page? Also some bully's do better on a grain free, chicken free food, read the ingredients because chicken meal is still chicken.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
it could be a Digital Cyst (?) I think they is what they call it, or it might be Yeast issues. Royal Canin, is 'OK' food, not highly recommended on this board though.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi and welcome!

I hope his paw I ok very soon.
just a note about that food...do you mean the Royal Canin Bulldog one? I personally had major issues with it...both of mine got crazy ill and massive skin problems almost immediately. Search around the site for info on food, I learned a lot .
My food journey has led me to Medi Cal HP ( prescription allergy food from my vet) and my guys have never been better. Not thrilled that they're on something so engineered, but they seem unable to handle any proteins that aren't hydrolyzed.

keep us posted!

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
I didn't even think about treats! He just started using those nylabone toothbrush treats....which are chicken flavoured, so maybe that's the problem. I'll do some research on that.

Thank you all for your help, I was so worried about my poor little guy!

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hi and welcome!

I hope his paw I ok very soon.
just a note about that food...do you mean the Royal Canin Bulldog one? I personally had major issues with it...both of mine got crazy ill and massive skin problems almost immediately. Search around the site for info on food, I learned a lot .
My food journey has led me to Medi Cal HP ( prescription allergy food from my vet) and my guys have never been better. Not thrilled that they're on something so engineered, but they seem unable to handle any proteins that aren't hydrolyzed.

keep us posted!

Yes, we feed him the Royal Canin bulldog 24. When we adopted Otis, his previous owner said she fed him nutro natural grain free venison and sweet potato formula, but I when we went to pick him up, she gave us some other sort of no-name food (she wasn't a very good owner, and I'm so glad we got him out of there). I'll research that and figure out what to feed him. Hopefully once I find a food that goes well with him, his poor paw (and gas) will ease up.

Thanks again!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang has you covered with GREAT advice.... you'll have him fixed up in no time, especially once you find the right food for him

Banks had all the same issues back when I was still learning and she was on RC Bulldog :barf: .... she is highly allergic to chicken, and very sensitive to salmon and white potatoes. I found the Fromm grain Free lines work well for her and she also has a lot of environmental allergies, which I treat with Benedryl and constant wiping her paws when she comes in from being outside

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
So apparently he had a cyst AND a puncture that almost went straight through his foot. I feel horrible because I noticed he had a slight limp which was on and off when I got him, but I thought nothing of it since he'd still run around.

:( I should have got them to look at his poor paw when I first got him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So apparently he had a cyst AND a puncture that almost went straight through his foot. I feel horrible because I noticed he had a slight limp which was on and off when I got him, but I thought nothing of it since he'd still run around.

:( I should have got them to look at his poor paw when I first got him.

Do not be so hard on yourself.... all new and learning! We are here to help and support.... give him big hugs and extra treats!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Poor thing .. well at least you know what it is now.

Owning a bully for the first time is a severe learning curve!! We've all been there and had to go through many different types of situation!!

Interdigital cysts are generally an allergy to something, so now you're getting that puncture wound looked at and treated, i would still consider changing his food from the Royal Canine stuff!! :barf:

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Oh yes, I still am. Once it's almost done I'll slowly feed him something better.

Thanks to everyone for their support, you guys are great!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online