Help Needed! Ugh! I'm such a bad mom... broken nail.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Aubie's due for a nail trim and I was going to trim her nails this weekend because I forgot to last weekend. Tonight we were playing and I had to adjust her britches (she's in heat). She was laying by the dresser and when she got up, I turned and noticed blood on the carpet. She tore her dew claw on her right foot by the dresser somehow and it was bleeding everywhere. We had to hog tie her and roll her over to look at it. Even then it was so bloody that we couldn't tell how bad it was broken. I cleaned it some, but she wouldn't sit still enough to clean it will. When we tried to wrap it up, she wiggled and wiggled and jerked her paw, making it bleed tons again. It took three times of trying to wrap that foot, but we finally got it wrapped and put a sock over it. The bleeding was slowing after I cleaned it the first time until she jerked her paw and went nutty, and I've yet to see any blood come through her sock.

I feel horrible! I knew she needed her nails trimmed and now she's got a hurt paw. Luckily, she seems to be doing OK walking now that it's wrapped up, but she won't stop licking the damn sock :cursing: and I'm afraid it may cause it to keep bleeding because she's messing with it.

I don't really want to mess with it further until tomorrow to give it time to really scab over so we can look at it good as I know it hurts her to mess with it or wrap it up. Is that the best thing to do as long as it's not bleeding through her sock? We didn't have gauze, so we stuck a cotton ball to support her nail so it won't move much, wrapped it in the strip of an ace bandage, and put a sock over it to keep it on. It's a bit of fabric, but if it was still bleeding like it was, it would have bled through already.

Any advice is appreciated!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The bleeding is/was due to her being excited... adrenaline causing the blood to flow faster. it should stop shortly after she settles ,,, there is also the stuff to stop the bleeding, I forget what it is call, begins with an 'S'

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
probably thinking of styptic powder or pencil :)

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I am not sure if I am correct but I remember years ago the vet telling me when this happens just dip it in i think bi carb not 100% sure that was it but I am sure someone will know.
They dont seem to cut the dew claws off anymore, when I had my litter of pugs te vet cut them of within the first day. Ftse has his dew claws still.

By the way your not a bad mum at all.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Instant tea, wet tea bag or flour will stop the bleeding the best thing is just to leave it alone until the morning if it hasn't bled through the sock. Sounds like you did a great job with the creative bandaging. :doctor:

You are not a bad Bully mom. Life happens and she will be fine and so will you.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Krista stop it! You are one of the best bully mom's I know. Things like this just happen, even if she'd gotten her nails cut it might have still gotten caught. :hug2:

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Thanks, guys! I know I'm not literally a bad mom, but boy did I feel awful! She let me remove her bandage this morning, put some neosporin around it, and cover it back up without a fuss; of course, I was extra gentle after her fuss last night, lol. I always meant to get a real first aid kit together, so nows the time! I was running around like an idiot last night because I thought I still had some gauze, etc, but I obviously used it for something. Guess this weekend I'll be putting together an EBN approved kit to stash in her drawer of goodies.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online